Kinship

Hermione sighed as she and her fellow fifth years left Potions only to head to Defense. It was a truly sad day when the Gryffindors preferred to stay in Potions with Snape than to leave and head to a new class.

"Can't it be lunch now?" Ron whined. To Hermione's dismay, she agreed. Anything was better than Umbridge.

"Harry," Hermione said softly.

"Yeah, Mione?"

"Cedric,"

As expected, Ron made a disgruntled noise in the background.

"... would like you to practice with the Hufflepuffs at quidditch today if you're willing. Angelina was not completely happy with his proposal but since Umbridge has taken it upon herself to delegate you detention during all the Gryffindor practices-so far."

"The Hufflepuff's are okay with me joining them for practice?" He doubted because Wood would not have agreed to anyone intruding on their practice with all the galleons in the world.

Hermione nearly beamed. "Yes, they really don't mind who watches the practices and I'm sure they'd be welcoming to you joining them... the whole Hufflepuff house stands behind you and Cedric as much as Ron and I do."

Harry raised a brow as he looked at Ron who didn't seem to look that keen on being called out for standing behind Cedric.

"I would actually like that- it'd be good getting on a broom again."

"Perfect!"

The idea of flying and practicing quidditch again put Harry in a good enough mood that he was able to ignore most of Umbridge's barbs and instigations so she would be able to dock points or assign more detentions.

Still they lost almost 50 points because she said Harry had not been paying attention and Hermione had gone too ahead in her reading and was out of line with the curriculum. How she justified that, none of them knew. In fact Anthony Goldstein passed Hermione a note saying he did not believe the deduction would go through as it had no merit. It made Hermione smile to see her fellow students stand behind them.

However as they were leaving, Umbridge coolly spoke out. "Mr. Potter, the assignment I assigned was for a three thousand word essay on the virtues of conflict avoidance. I see only 2,813 words on this paper. Another night's detention for not completing assignment as told." She smiled triumphantly.

Hermione gasped. This woman! Hermione whirled around- about to give the vile woman a piece of her mind but Harry dragged her out; his grip on her almost so tight it hurt. "Don't engage her Hermione." Harry muttered coldly, only walking ahead before they gave Umbridge what she wanted. The woman was not going to ruin his afternoon. Detentions were a norm by now for him, regardless.

"No! She has got to be stopped." Hermione saw red as she walked towards the dining hall for lunch. How Dumbledore or even Professor McGonagall could let Umbridge get away with using Harry as an example of what happens when you go against the Ministry?

-!-!-

"Mimi?" Ian asked as Hermione stomped, almost past him.

"I'm going to talk to Professor McGonagall."

"Uh," Ian looked around for his best friend. Of course when you wanted to find the bloke- he was nowhere to be seen. "How about you have some lunch and blow off some steam with me?"

"Ian someone's got to stop that woman."

"Hermione," Ian stopped and whispered. "We have something planned, don't worry. The professors here have their hands tied with Ministry politics. It's our job now as 7th yeas to make Hogwarts proud and show the world despite the turmoil of the past years- we can handle whatever they will throw at us. Let Cedric and I handle this alright? Just wait a little more patiently please."