Chapter 19

"Ah, of course, the two of you are already acquainted,"  Daniel said smiling. "Now Mr. McGregor, as you requested, Ms. Waverton will be overseeing your project." 

"She might not be the most seasoned one here," Daniel said glancing at her, "But she is quite capable if you ask me."

"Oh, I have faith in that," James said smirking. 

Elizabeth shot him a glare from the corner of her eye before turning to Daniel. "So where do we start?" 

"The piece of land is on the edge of the city in quite a wooded area," Daniel said turning on the beamer pointed at his wall. On that a picture of the piece of land was shown, to be honest, it looked nice, quite idyllic actually.

"The plan is to make a modern, yet somewhat vintage mansion." Daniel continued showing more pictures of examples. "Please, sit down." He motioned for the two of them to sit down. 

Elizabeth sat down at the table and James sat down right next to her. She gave him another glare as she focused on the wall in front of them again. 

"I'll get Donaldson and Miller to help you set it all up and then you can start with-" Daniel turned as Paul knocked on the door and walked in, "April called, she asked if you could call her back asap." He said and Daniel nodded. "Thanks, Paul."

"Excuse me." He said to Elizabeth and James grabbing his phone, "I really need to make a quick call." as he walked out of his office. 

"Requested me, that sure is something new." She said not even looking at him. "Well let's just say I have good faith in your competence." He said leaning back. 

Elizabeth chuckled softly before standing up and walking over to the sink, "Coffee?" 

"Yes please." 

James watched her from behind as she started making the coffee. He watched her balance on the tips of her toes as she tried to reach the top cabinet. 

He chuckled shaking his head, "Need some help?" 

"No, I don't." She said making a small jump and grabbing the coffee. "I am perfectly capable on my own thank you very much." 

He smiled as she finished making the coffee and walked over to him with two mugs of coffee.

"Here you go." She said setting down the cup in front of him. "Thank you." He replied. 

"How do you feel about dinner." He said turning to her. "Not sure, I mean they say it is the least important meal of the day, yet we put the most time into it." 

"I meant dinner with me." He said leaning over to her. "I figured." She replied as Daniel walked back in.

"Alright, that is settled, now let's start."  

The meeting lasted for half an hour before James had to leave for his next meeting. Right when he was about to leave he turned to Elizabeth, "I'll pick you up at seven." She was about to say no when he said, "Wear something nice." Leaving a steaming Elizabeth behind. 

She walked into her shared office with a look of murder on her face. Oscar and Hailey shared a look before asking her what happened. "The one who requested me, the idiot, was James. That mother fucker." She said sitting down at her desk. 

"That's..." Oscar started, "A little stalker-ish." Hailey finished for him. "Then the fucker had the audacity to, not ask me, no, to inform me that we are going on a date."

"Oh god, he didn't..." Hailey sighed. "I thought some girls thought that was sexy?" Oscar said. "That my friend depends on the girl and on the context," Hailey said.

"So whats the plan?" 

"Well, tonight we're going out," Elizabeth said. "Out?" Oscar asked confused. "Yeah, as long as I'm not home for the entire night, I'm happy." 

It was seven o'clock on the dot when James stood in front of her door carrying a bouquet of roses. When she didn't open the door however he felt a pang in his heart. He stood there for a while before going down stairs again. 

"She's not in." The large African american man sitting at the front desk said. "I'm sorry?" James questioned. "Lizzy, she isn't in. Her two friends picked her up an hour ago." 

"Do you know where they went?" James asked curiously. "I don't know sir, but if you want, I could bring the roses up to her apartment." 

"Thank you." James sighed looking defeated. 

Wallace sighed before saying. "Alright, I heard her talking about the club near her old place at second street." 

James looked up. "A club?" 

"Elizabeth is a strange gal, now go and get her." 

James told his driver to go down to the address Wallace had given him.  But it turned out there was more then one club there...

An hour had gone by as he had figured out that she wasn't in any of the clubs there. Defeated he was about to walk back to his car when he saw someone sitting by the water. Someone with auburn hair. 

Thinking it was his last shot at finding her that night he walked over to the girl. She didn't look up as he sat down next to her. Instead, she said, "Came all the way out her just to find me huh?"

"You're really making me work for it you know." He said looking at her. 

"It's not like your giving me any choice." She said finally looking at him.

"Why are you here?" He asked her. "I wanted to be unfindable so I decided to go down to a club. So I partied, pretending to like going out, and now I am sitting here. You see there is some guy at my house waiting for me." 

"Alright fair point." He said nodding. "I still haven't eaten though."

"That's, not my fault." She said holding up her index finger. "True. very true."

The two of them just sat there for a while staring at the water and not saying anything.