part 17

She screams.

"Hey, leave her alone!" I stood with my fists clenched at my sides, chest heaving. I felt utterly exhausted, yet all I'd chosen to do was yell out at a bully that was being unnecessarily cruel to a small girl. I felt so exhausted, but somehow I'd found myself in this situation. It was almost as if every moment in my life had led up to this point.

"Huh?" The boy rubbed a hand over his nose, sniffing at an annoyingly loud volume. "'What're you gonna do about it, huh?" He narrowed his eyes at me, but I had no hesitation in the way I pushed my shoulders back and took broad steps in his direction.

"Are you picking on her so you don't feel small?" I raised an eyebrow as I stood next to where he was holding the girl against the wall. "Isn't it sad that you have to belittle others just so that you feel good about yourself?" I saw a look flash across his eyes at the words that left my mouth. Hesitation became evident in his features and he slowly relaxed his hands, letting go of the girl.

It was almost like she had fallen from his hands into mine instead.

"Whatever, this is too much hassle anyway." The boy shrugged it off, trying to act cool as he stalked off in the opposite direction. I watched his back until he left before I refocused and let my attention fall to the girl that was now curled up with her back against the wall.

She had sunk down to curl up into a ball as soon as the bully had let go of her. I shuffled over until I was close enough to touch her. Once she noticed how close I was, she raised her head to look up at me with puffy red eyes. They were the most beautiful pair of soft brown eyes I'd ever seen.

"Hey, hey." I whispered out in a gentle tone, not wanting to scare her. "You don't have to cry anymore." I let pure instinct and feeling take over my body as I lent forward to press a light kiss to her forehead. "I found you." I reached forward to gently cup her tear stained cheek and lift her head so I was looking her in the eyes. She gave me a small nod, almost like she understood everything I had said; even though it made no sense.