2.19 - Comforting Him

Playlist :
      Gravity - Sara Bareilles

Alison/Sapphire

     I watched him with cautious eyes. The moon shone its white light on him making the transformation of his facial emotions visible in front of me. I watched as he processed every word I said. I gulped when I saw his pupils dialect making his eyes almost black. He clenched his jaw so tight that I could literally hear the grinding of his teeth. His hands balled into fists and he started shaking with a red face. Note to self, never make Ian angry.

"How do you know?" He asked through clenched teeth. I cleared my throat before answering. "The first time I met Nathan was in my cafe. He was alone so I went to talk to him. After we had a small talk he was hungry so I offered him some brownies. When he went to pick it up I noticed the bruises under his sleeve, on his arm. In the beginning I thought you were the one to do so but when I got to know you I realised you love him too much to do that. I tried talking to him the day you left him at my place to spend his day but he answered by saying that the person will hurt me if they learned he spoke something and that had me worried sick for him. I tried talking to you before but I didn't get a chance to." I said and snapped my eyes back to his shaking form. I was scared that if I kept my eyes on him I won't be able to complete my words and honestly I was right because his murderous look could make anybody crawl under a rock and hide.

He abruptly stood up and turned around to leave. Quickly I stood up too and held his arm, preventing him from moving further. He relaxed a little under my touch, little being the key word. "Where are you going?" I asked. "I'm going to his room. I am done with his 'nothings'. I want answers and I want them now." He replied. I walked in front of him and made him look me in the eye. With a soft voice I said. "Ian! This is not the right time to go barging in his room and demand answers. He is too mature for his age, liar even. He'll cover it up and brush of our doubts. Our main priority right now is to make sure he is safe and then we can find the person." He looked at me and sighed before turning around and resting his palms on the wooden rail. Droping his head down he said in a low, vulnerable voice "What kind of father am I?"

His voice broke my heart. I've never seen him this vulnerable and I know it takes a lot of a man's ego to show his vulnerable side in front of a lady. Either he is not aware or he is really comfortable around me. It's a good thing, right?

My hands itched to touch him and comfort him but I balled them beside me to prevent myself from doing so. It's not appropriate I told myself.

"You are a good father." I settled on my words, hoping it will comfort him. He chuckled "Am I? I let my son get abused for god knows how long? He didn't even think about coming to me and say something. Was I that unapproachable? Was I that oblivious? All the signs were right in front of me but I brushed it off thinking it is his habit, his comfort zone. Never did it occured to me that it was his safe zone. I am his father, I should've pushed him to tell me instead of settling on his 'nothings'." He said and looked at me. I gasped slightly when I saw a fat ball of water rolling down his left cheek. That did it, I couldn't hold myself back anymore. My fists loosened and I walked towards him, touching his arm I said while rubbing his arm "No! You are the best father any son could ask for and I'm not that one saying it. I could see it in Nathan's eyes." He closed his eyes and sighed before wiping the trail of tear down his cheek.

"I'll kill that person once I find him." He said with fury burning in his eyes. "I know you will." I said. He looked at me and his features softened.

"Thanks!" He said. "Don't say that. I love that kid too." I answered. He looked at his arm with a slight smirk. "Touchy now, are we?" He joked. I quickly pulled away my arm and glared at him. "You wish." I narrowed my eyes at him but the traitor my cheeks are, gave me away resulting his smirk to widen.