Chapter Seventeen: Going Under

[Church porch]

"Where's Mo?" Ambrose demanded. "Is he with you?"

"This flaming door." He grumbled. "Always sticking. I thought you were having it fixed."

"Dad!"

"Something's happened to him, hasn't it?" Elliot guessed sadly.

[Church]

Inside the church was nice with a pretty stained glass window behind the altar, but the small building was just used for storage now.

"So we can't get out, we can't contact anyone, and something, the something that took my husband, is coming up through the Earth." Ambrose summarised.

"Yes. If we move quickly enough, we can be ready."

"No, stop. This has gone far enough. What is this?" She demanded, looking to her other team members.

"He's telling the truth, love." Mack told her.

"Come on. It's not the first time we've had no mobile or phone signals. Reception's always rubbish."

"Look, Ambrose. We saw the Doctor's friend get taken, okay?" The Doctor flinched slightly, but continued working. "You saw the lightning in the sky. I have seen the impossible today, and the only person who's made any sense of it for me, is the Doctor."

She looked at the Doctor dubiously. "Him?"

"Me." He replied.

"Can you get my dad back?" Elliot asked him.

"Yes. But I need you to trust me and do exactly as I say from this second onwards, because we're running out of time."

"So tell us what to do."

"Thank you. We have eight minutes to set up a line of defence. Bring me every phone, every camera, every piece of recording or transmitting equipment you can find."

Everyone started scrambling off find find what he instructed.

"Every burglar alarm, every movement sensor, every security light. I want the whole area covered with sensors."

[Church]

The equipment had been set up and the dots were still heading up towards the surface on the computer screens.

"Right, guys, we need to be ready for whatever's coming up. I need a map of the village marking where the cameras are going." The Doctor ordered.

"I can't do the words. I'm dyslexic." Elliot told him disappointedly.

"Oh, that's all right, I can't make a decent meringue. Draw like your life depends on it, Elliot."

"Six minutes forty." Mack called.

There was roughly only five minutes to go. The new CCTV array was ready.

"Works in quadrants. Every movement sensor and trip light we've got. If anything moves, we'll know." Mack announced.

"Good lad."

[Cwmtaff]

Four minutes left, and the Doctor was examining the inside of Ambrose's meals on wheels van.

"Oi!" She called. "What're you doing?"

"Resources." He replied. "Every little helps. Meals on wheels. What've you got here, then. Warmer in the front, refrigerated in the back."