Chapter 10

I didn't think I'd ever shaken this much before.

I could only stare, blankly blinking as Derek shuffled on his feet. Frigid air creeped inside the house, but I could barely feel anything. Derek shivered, lips blue from the cold, while his arms snaked around his chest in an attempt to keep warm. I could see his mouth moving, but I didn't hear anything. My mind was blank, frozen like the ground outside.

"Erika, what on earth are you doing? You're letting all the cold air...in," I heard Annika walk up behind me, her voice trailing off once she noticed who stood at the door.

"What the hell?!" Annika exclaimed suddenly, startling me out of my trance and sending the door into Derek's face.

I jumped as the door slammed shut. "Oh my God."

"Why is he here?" Annika whipped around to face me while I stared blankly at the door.

I could hear a faint knock on the other side. "I don't know. I don't know."

"Girls, what're you doing standing here?" Mom squeezed in between us as Derek knocked again. Annika surged forward to stop her but it was too late.

"Hello?" Mom opened the door with a wide smile, which quickly faltered once she caught sight of who it was. "You-your highness?"

Derek smiled weakly. "I'm so-sorry, Mrs. Carpenter, but would it be alright if I-I came in?" He was shaking from the cold, lips now a shade of light purple. Mom, ever the doting mother, quickly ushered him inside.

I found myself stepping backwards as Derek took one step, and then another, inside. How strange it was, seeing him in my own home. I'd never been able to connect the two, never been able to visualize Derek in Kent. But here he was, dressed in a button down and slacks, with a puffy coat that really did nothing to block out the chill.

I could see that Mom was slightly confused by the situation, but she continued to push Derek inside. He looked over his shoulder, trying to catch my eye, but I could only look the other way. Just looking at him brought up too many emotions.

Annika stepped over, taking my hand gently. "You okay?"

I breathed out a sigh, straightening my shirt and hair. "I don't know..."

"Come on," Annika set her jaw and pulled me close. "Let's see what he wants."

Annika steered me back into the family room, where a very different scene was taking place. Mom had wrapped Derek in at least two blankets and had pressed a new cup of tea into his hands. Dad stood silently by the tv, arms crossed as he looked at Derek in dismay. Kaleb sat across the room, blatantly glaring at the prince, while Elisa glanced between them.

"So," Annika squeezed my arm while she stared pointedly at Derek. "What are you doing here?"

Mom shifted at the clear disrespect in Annika's tone. Normally, I would have been to, but frankly I had no idea what to do.

Derek politely declined another blanket from Mom, before standing quietly. He glanced between Annika and I before clearing his throat gently. "I'm sorry to interrupt you all so rudely. But...I must speak with Erika." His voice was hoarse, dry from the cold air. I didn't think he'd ever experienced a winter like this.

"Not good enough," Annika crossed her arms. She wasn't tall, but somehow she seemed to tower over him.

"I..." Derek blanked and looked at me over my sister's shoulder. His eyes searched mine, pleading for a chance to say whatever he needed to say.

I swallowed before stepping forward. "Annika...just let us talk."

Annika looked at me. "Erika..." she protested, but I shook my head. Thankfully, everyone else left quietly. Only Kaleb, Dad, and Annika shot Derek the death-glare as they walked upstairs.

A beat of silence passed before Derek stepped closer to me. "Erika...Erika, I'm so sorry."

"What are you doing here?" I managed to choke out. "You said...you said you never wanted to see me again."

Derek ran a hand through his hair and began to pace the room. "I know. I know." His voice was pained. "I made a mistake."

"You made a mistake?" I spoke incredulously as I stared at him. "You accused me of being a rebel after my own sister was killed. She died in my arms and you chose to send me home."

"I-I wasn't thinking," Derek stuttered.

"Well, that's the biggest understatement of the year." I crossed my arms.

The room had begun to feel tighter and tighter. Walls closed us in together and the tension seemed to rise with every word. I could barely look at Derek, but he could only look at me.

"I didn't know what to do after Gen-after Gen got shot," Derek sank back onto the couch, elbows resting on his knees. "All I saw was your brother with a gun meant for me. When I found out about Genevieve, the only thing I could think of was that you'd betrayed us. So I reacted."

"You reacted? That's all you have to say?"

"Yes. No. I don't know," Derek shook his head. "I don't have any excuses. Only that..."

"Only what?" I glared at him.

"Only that I miss the girl I love. And I want to bring her back to the palace." Derek looked me in the eye.

I felt my heart stop. "What're you talking about?"

Derek stood slowly and walked closer. I couldn't decide whether to stay still or back away, but Derek's eyes tethered me to my spot.

"I love you, Erika. I never stopped," Derek reached forward to take my hands. "The selected think I'm on a business trip for a week, but I'm here for you."

"You eliminated me, Derek. You can't just bring me back." I stared at our joined hands, debating whether I should pull mine away. It felt strange, to see my hands enveloped by his. Something wrong, yet something right.

"I can. I'll eliminate someone else, two if I have to," Derek squeezed my hands. "I'd break any rule if you asked me to."

Before now, I'd have said yes in a heartbeat. But now, after all of the ramifications of the attack, could I even show my face in the palace? I couldn't even go to the grocery store. The palace and Capital Report would be ten times worse.

"I can't," I pulled away from Derek, whose eyes widened at my refusal. "I can't just come back after everything that's happened. This isn't enough to get me to come back to you, Derek."

"I'm here for a week," Derek spoke quietly, eyes never leaving mine.

"Then you have a week to convince me."
__________________________
Well this took forever. Sorry guys, my schedule has been insane.

I hope this made up for the cliffhanger! Please comment and vote, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

xoxo, _lovemultifandoms_