Chapter 41

Nico's POV:

The middle-aged vendor sent me occasional glances as Khloe looked through the assortment of pastries through the glass case.

I just stood silently by the cash register, waiting for her to decide what she wanted.

I had planned on visiting the pharmacy after this to restock on certain items once we were done here.

However, it seemed like Khloe was having difficulty deciding what she actually wanted.

If she wanted to go here out of all the places in this city than I guess it's understandable for her to take some time to decide exactly what she wanted.

Seeing that she would be looking for quite a few more minutes, I folded up her leash before placing it in my pocket.

I had taken it off a few minutes ago, knowing for a fact that she wouldn't dare try to run if I had my back turned.

Part of me wanted to go ahead and say that the idea had never even crossed her mind.

I looked back up seeing as she stared at the little piece of paper that sat in front of one of the pastries.

A sad look crossed her face followed by a quiet sigh before she shifted her gaze to another set of pastries.

"What are you doing?" I asked, curious about her actions.

She looked up at me cautiously, like I had caught her doing something she shouldn't have been doing.

"I'm uh," she turned back towards the baked goods, "Making sure I don't get anything too expensive."

I just blinked at her for a moment.

Of course.

"The price doesn't matter, Khloe. You can get whatever you want."

Her eyes widened before they practically lit up.

"Really?" Her excitement was evident in her voice.

I just nodded.

Money really wasn't an issue.

Plus the fact that I haven't even sent a negative glance to the vendor that was looking at me like I had just killed his daughter should have been payment enough.

God, humans annoy me.

My thoughts were turned away when one of the only exceptions to that spoke up to the vendor.

"Id like one of these, please!"

~~~

I had left Khloe to eat her apple fritter on the bench outside while I browsed through the pharmacy grabbing everything that I needed.

Even though I had discontinued my job as a doctor, I still liked to have certain things on hand.

I handed the cashier the appropriate amount of money after she had scanned all of my items.

It was about time that I had to get back to the collection.

I grabbed my receipt from the cashier who had failed in making any sort of eye contact with me and began to head out.

The stuff I bought should be delivered to my room tonight, so I just stuck the receipt in my pocket.

I paused however once I heard a familiar voice speak.

It was Khloe's, followed by another voice, one that I had never heard before, saying her name.

My eyes narrowed.