Awaking

The sound of trickling water was vaguely evident.

It reminded him of that pond he would splash around in as a toddler.

The voices were vague. He heard the soft voice of a man. "Bring in the alovera."

"Yes guru Ji", replied another voice. There was some shuffling.

I've heard that voice before.

He felt something dampen his forehead, but before he could process anything else, he revolted into unconsciousness once more.

The next time he woke up, he could tinklings of small gongs. Chants hummed throughout the air. His eyes flickered open. 

The room was wide, it had an open earthly atmosphere that didn't really make it a room. It was open, one could easily get up and walk off.

He slowly tried getting up. His left shoulder winced in pain, and his head throbbed. 

Ashoka viewed his surroundings. The walls were made of some hard mud he supposed. It opened out into a garden area, he supposed it was an open-shelter type of place. White Cloths were stacked neatly in one area, while herbs were in another. 

The platform he was resting on itself was made of mud, and a simple woven mat was their for a cushion.

Through the simplicity, he felt at ease, at peace. Yet, he was skeptical.

Slowly, and carefully Ashoka got up with his teeth clenched together firmly from wincing. He walked out into the open area.

As he had expected, a garden area lay in the middle of the shelter. Small ponds, and there were various statues of this one figure meditating.

He walked around. It was a very large and wide place. He could see men in plain robes walking by at a distance into the other open rooms.

Ashoka decided to venture into the place and be familiar with it.

Who knows, maybe I shall find what I seek here.

He made sure not to draw attention, and avoided any encounterance with anyone.

He found many rooms. A room stacked with herbs and other supplies. A room with mats layed about. But they were not the ones he seeked.

He started to huff in frustration. He decided it was about time he went and presented himself in front of someone.

As he walked, he heard some chanting. He could go talk to someone there. He walked along the direction of the sound.

"Buddham....saranam...."

He stiffened.

"Gachaaami..."

Suddenly his strides quickened, his ears keen on the hymns, he barged into the meditation room.

There were many  people in simple robes, but his gaze stopped at the one who wore clothes that were simple, but they were not robes.

He slowly advanced forward.

Everyone else had their eyes closed, keen on meditation.

His foot went forward one after another.

"Dharmam....saranam.....Gachaami....."

He sat down.