Chapter 35: Unwanted Snow

Sorry for the 3 month long delay; I had gotten a lot of requests to keep updating but I had gotten writer's block. my posting schedule will not be as consistent as before because of school. but I will start to post Thursday's in the morning.

________________________________________________________________________

She kept the dagger on under her pillow as she was still worried of the masked men. As fatigue started to come over her, the sound of light footsteps and heavy breathing was heard. She woke up to not see anyone in the room, but her instincts screamed for her body to move. She used the rationale part of her brain and stayed completely still waiting for the other party to make the first move. She heard the ceiling above her squeak from the pressure and she grabbed the dagger under her pillow before moving the blankets and putting her feet on the floor. She only felt the presence of three, and was not aware of where the other two men were. She grabbed one of the vases from across the room and made the sound of if a person was climbing and falling out of a window. When she noticed that their attention was distracted she snuck out and began to run. As she turned the corner she was met with the other two men and they looked at her before one of them was about to signal the others. But before the man could do that a dagger came flying at him cutting his clothing and bit of his skin before seeing a beautiful person kick him in the chest.

When the first fell she picked up her dagger and ran as fast as she could to not cause the other man to chase her. The man who wasn't attacked by Mingxia Jie called his fellow companions and soon enough they started to chase her. Unfortunately for them, Mingxia Jie's strong will to live had made her escape the Imperial Palace, while running down the hallways she was met with a few maids who wanted to ask what she was doing but were left with their words in their mouths as she sped past them. When she past the palace guards, they decided to report to the Emperor who was currently with Kangxi wangye and decided to go tell them what they had just seen. Mingxia Jie didn't pay attention to them as she ran bare foot through the capital. As she ran the white snow began to fall and Mingxia Jie frowned. She likes snow, but she didn't like the cold that came with it. She was used to the warm climates of East Zhousan so she never took any winter jobs because she didn't like being cold. But now she was forced to run because she didn't have the necessary strength to defend herself.

As the snow tumbled down, Mingxia Jie's feet started to become cold and soon enough she was forced to hide in an alleyway while the snow continued to fall. The more time passed by the snow and her fatigue made her exhausted; but her fear of being found keeps her awake. As the sun kisses the horizon in Xue, Mingxia Jie had spent the whole night awake in the snow to hide her presence. As she starts to feel dizzy a small girl with long black hair sees and stares at her. Mingxia Jie wasn't paying attention from the lack of sleep and exhaustion. She looks up and the beauty the original owner had was nowhere to be found instead only a tired and cold girl was there. The little girl spoke to Mingxia Jie

-"Older sister, what are you doing here in such weather.? Why aren't you dressed properly?

-"..."

-"Older sister, are you not feeling well?"

-"...Yes..."

-"Would you come with me so that your body can warm up?"

-"If I may, thank you."

Mingxia Jie smiled softly and stood up and looked around. It was still early. But this little girl was walking around. The little girl grabbed her hand and started down the alley and kept walking when she arrived to a small house at the edge of the city in the slums where she leads Mingxia Jie. she knocks on the door and a young man, opens it. When he sees Mingxia Jie, his eyes show disgust, but when she looks down at the little girl appreciation fills his eyes. Mingxia Jie notices it, but doesn't retaliate and stays quiet. The little girl leads Mingxia Jie inside and asks the young man to bring a bit of warm tea and leads Mingxia Jie to the fire place. When she gets there she plops down and sits closely to the fire before falling asleep. The young man was impatient with seeing Mingxia Jie acting like that, while approaching Mingxia Jie, he notices the glint of the dagger and sees how closely she keeps it. After about an hour Mingxia Jie woke up and took in her surroundings. She was still cold as hell and wanted to warm up more. She noticed movement and readied her dagger only to see a middle aged woman enter the small house. She screams before dropping the expensive china on the floor. Mingxia Jie's reflexes are fast, so she was fast enough to catch the china.

When the young man and little come out to see their mother terrified and Mingxia Jie holding both her dagger and china. The young man storms up to her and grabs her by the collar. Mingxia Jie does not refute, yell or anything of the sort. When the young man got no reaction from Mingxia Jie, he was both astounded and confused. A flash of awareness goes through Mingxia Jie's eyes and puts her dagger away before stepping back and putting the china on the table. She then walks up to the woman and kowtows in front of her and asks for forgiveness. Mingxia Jie only gave her maiden name as she didn't want to further frighten the family. The family calms down and asks her to not worry as they weren't expecting company. The woman notices Mingxia Jie's clothing and gasps, before leading Mingxia Jie to her small room and asking her to change. When she comes out in a soft pastel skirt and a light fur coat the woman kindly gives Mingxia Jie the coat and she tells her that she will repay the family for their kindness. No one believed her, but that family never regretted it after.

She tore her nightgown before remembering she carried a few gold pieces, and gave two to the old woman before asking where she could find both a horse and warmer clothing. The woman stuttered but still responded, when she felt and looked at the two gold pieces in hand she cried tears of joy. As she walked towards the shop she saw a large group of troops standing guard listening to the orders of a commander. Mingxia Jie remembers that she left without telling wangye, but before she could get close to the guards she was swept up by the excited crowd as they saw a fight breaking out between two men. The guards notices and were sent out. She narrowly escaped and landed in front of the store. When she looked back she saw wangye on a horse commanding the troops.