chapter 24

Song- stay

James left the hospital and headed to work. the company was facing a legal issue and he needed to be alert and in the office in time to meet another lawyer. Katherine had to leave her job months ago, she hadn't told him until he found out she was sick. she was heart broken she loved working and she knew she wouldn't get to do what she loved again once she gave it up. 

he wanted her to feel comfortable, he wanted her to enjoy her life and live in the moment. 

he sat in his office chair but he couldn't read the files in front of him, his eyes glazed over making it harder to read. 

The hospital had to let her out. They would listen to him. He pulled his phone out to ring them. But couldnt hit dial. What if he rang and they told him something he didn't want to hear?

No he would talk to them later.

He tried to busy himself at work. It wasnt easy and found his mind drifting to ella more often. His little girl needed her mother.

Katherines mother had been very good to them. Looking after ella and helping james. She loved katherine and though she was hurt Katherine chose to hide her ilness she couldn't turn her back on them.

Ella had been getting in trouble at school hitting other kids, and not abiding by the rules. James considered sending her to a therapist but instead opted to spend more quality time with her. Taking her to the park. Out for dinner and to the cinema. He was well rehearsed in my little pony by now.

But ella missed her mother she talked to elena about her, and james knew seeing her every day made her miss her mother even more.

The meeting was short, james told the lawyer his case, what was wrong and what he expected them to do. It all went smoothly.

He sat doing paperwork the rest of the evening counting the hours until he saw his beauty again.

At half eight he closed the books. Stood from his desk and dismissed his secretary.

He didn't call his driver, he drive himself to the hospital and walked to room 5 like he did every night. Katherine was on the bed reading ella a story.

"And then they all lived happily ever after" katherines soft voice filled the silence and joy lit her face as she looked down at a sleepy ella.

She looked up when she heard james footsteps

"Elena says she couldn't sleep. She wanted me to read her a story" james smiled down at the girl huddled beneath the blanket.

"I miss her" Katherine whispered

"I know you do but just hold on a little longer for me" james spoke softly and held a promise that gave katheine a little hope.

He pulled up his seat and talked to katherine until she fell asleep.

Elena came back to get ella and took her home. James went to the doctors office.

He knocked the door 3 times before entering

"Hello Mr Saunders how are you?" Doctor sharky smiled up from his stack of papers.

"Im fine but im worried about katherine, she wants to come home" james looked at doctor sharky and watched as he shook his head

"James i don't want to worry you but if katherine leaves this hospital i can guarantee she won't last longer than 3   days"

"I dont want 3 days i want one. She needs one. One to be with her daughter, one to say goodbye"  james knew he would hear something he wouldnt want to but he had to ask for katherine she never asked for anything from him and he owed her so much more than he could ever give 

"Very well james ill let her out tomorrow morning she can stay until the next morning but she needs to be brought back in before 9am" doctor sharky was strict but james couldn't give a damn he needed to go home and get ready for katherines last day of freedom.

"Thank you" he left the hospital smiling. Tomorrow would be perfect he could feel it.

Katherine was sitring eating her breakfast when james came in the next morning with ella beside him. She was eating eggs and toast.

She found it odd that the two came in together. Normally james was in earlier.

The pair wore big cheesy grins

"What are you two up to?" She raises a  eyebrow

"Nothing mommy just bringing you home" ella shouts jumping up and down

Katherine meets james eyes. "Im comming home?" Her eyes lit up brighter than james had seen them in weeks.

"You are only for today though"  he grinned helping her out of bed

A nurse came and helped her dress. She sat down in the wheel chair she had been confined to her legs unable to hold her own weight.

James signed the necessary paperwork and they bid doctor sharky goodbye.

James brought her home she sat in the passenger seat smiling the whole drive home.

James carefully lifted her out of the car and into her wheelchair. Ella helped him push katherine into the back garden.

Elena had laid out an extravagant picnic for them all. And they sat under the sun laughing and joking. Ella ran after butterflies and james admired his wife's beauty.

They stayed out side until it became dark and went to the living room. James made popcorn, elena got drinks and ella brought blankets and pillows from the bedrooms.  They sat up watching movies the rest of the night. Ella fell asleep and so elena took her up to bed saying good night to katherine and james.

It was a little while later James decided that they too needed rest. It had been a long day and he knew although she wouldn't admit it katherine was exhausted.

She loved watching ella today. Seeing the house again. Being outside. Seeing the maids she had grown to love. But the day was shorter than she would have liked. She knew this was her last chance to make peace with herself and her ilness. She was lucky to have it at all.

As james carried her up stairs and lay her to bed. Elena had helped her change earlier. Katherine wrapped her arms around his neck and whispered her final request.

"James make love to me"

Authors note

I'm sorry tgis was a long wait i posted an apology on my conversation board. Go check it out it explains why updates have been so slow. Thank you so much for your support writing this book i have more updates in the making so i hope you are ready for them.

Did u enjoy this