18 | ACT I, SCENE XVIII

P R E V I O U S L Y

The remaining tiles slid back with a groaning, rusty scream, revealing a gaping opening - pitch black tunnel with steps leading under. I could hardly believe my own eyes, damn it, because this was absolutely not happening. There was a secret passage under the Citadel.

 There was a secret passage under the Citadel

CARLEIGH PALACE, SUNCAIRN, ELLESMERE.

VERONA

"DOES NESSA LIKE LILIES?" LLEWELLYN asked me shyly, taking a swig of the ginger root beer as I broke into fits of laughter.

My uncle's pathetic attempts at flirting with aunt Vanessa were hilarious to watch. She always had a look of innocent surprise as he'd solemnly try to woo her. Father took great pride in teasing his sister at every chance he got by pressing mother close to his chest and kissing her.

"She hates lilies," I scowled at him, and a solemn, pained look crossed his face.

"What does she like? Roses? Carnations?"

"I'll tell you if you get another bottle of root beer tomorrow. Make that two," I said, grinning.

"You wicked thing," he teased, wringing his hands. "Just like your father."

"Yes, yes, don't go on. I have my father's hair, my mother's eyes, my great grandfather's balls, blah, blah, blah... Do we have a deal, uncle?"

His eyes glinted as he clicked his tongue disapprovingly, chuckling.

"If your Amphitrite finds out about the beer, she'll skin me alive."

"She's out with father right now," I reminded with a tricky smile. "They won't know. Get the beer, and I'll tell you which flowers Vanessa likes so you can flirt with her."

"I'm not very good at flirting," Llewellyn rubbed his nose abashedly, rather self conscious.

"I'll teach you," I promised with a devilish grin, and his lips tugged up in an adorable smile.

"Tomorrow, then," he said, marching towards the gates with his nose in the nose in the air.

"She loves chocolates! Dark. She hates vanilla," I called after him, smiling to myself.

"Thanks!" he grinned. "Owe you one."

"You owe me two!" I wailed. "Are you going back to Stormholt?"