Chapter 14

In the Empire of Vols...

Arity had been living under the protection of the Emperor of Vols. She was taken in by the emperor due to her young age. She walks towards a room and knocks on it gently. 

"Enter." She opens the door and timidly says.

"You called Emperor Foss." Emperor Foss smiles at her and motions for her to sit down.

"I told you that you can relax around me."

"I understand."

"Good. So tell me Arity. What kind of woman is this F/n." The empire of Vols and Roan were very powerful.They were also neighboring one another. Rivalry was at its highest. Both empires showing it superiority. It was a matter of time before they went into war. Cedric was preparing himself for this since he was crowned. He didn't have the cruelty Arte had and he knew this. Cedric does not believe in owning other human beings and has zero tolerance towards it. It is because of these newly freed slaves, like Arity, that he is able to get information that can be beneficial for him to give him a foothold for the war to come.

"I told you all that I know of her." Arity and Cedric had this conversation everyday since she came to Vols. He never understood what Arity told him. A slave girl won the affections of man who viciously harms those who defy him. It doesn't make sense at all. 

"I know, but did she ever tell you anything else?"

"F/n kept to herself. She doesn't talk that often. She was like the others in that sense."

"But she is different from the others. Arity. This difference from them is what attracted Arte. She possesses something that interests him. Can you tell me what this difference is?" After thinking for a moment she begins.

"I guess it was lack of fear. F/n felt resigned to her fate and accepted it like that. She didn't bother with being hopeful. Also when I started working there, she was the only one who managed to stay within his presence with trembling."

"So she is a brave girl isn't she." Arity nods smiling. It soon fades. She missed you. You gave up your freedom for her sake. She wanted you to be free. Enjoying life happily. Cedric picks up on her emotions. "One day Arity. F/n will be with you and you two will be living safely together."

As for Arte...

Love. It was an emotion he hadn't experienced since his mother was executed. He witnessed it. His father made him. He wanted to show Arte the punishment for betraying the Emperor. Without the care of a mother, Arte was never taught what it meant to love and was broken down to only be rebuilt as a man who had no mercy. 

Arte's father was certainly more violent than him but Arte was second to none. He never showed love for his son. The only time he ever smiled was when Arte first killed a prisoner of war. It was this death that Arte begin changing. He had so much anger within that he wanted to express but couldn't. It was doing harm and killing those who were to be forgotten that made it easier for him. With time those humane qualities he once had faded and he became the Emperor he is now. That was until you showed up.

Fear. He was used to it. The scared looks. The trembling shoulders. Everyone knew of Arte's temperament. He always believed that people would look at him like that. That was until he spotted you in the corridor. For the first time in years, you were the one person who didn't show fear. He found it odd considering you were a slave. At first he wanted to test your limits and break you in a way he hasn't done. With time though he didn't want you to fear him. He wanted you to be right next to him, not scared.

As he looks at your sleepibg figure beside him, he smiles. He brushes you hair away from your face. Whenever you are with him, you always kept your guard up. Right now you are vulnerable. It makes him feel happy though. It makes him believe he finally has something worth protecting.