Love of My Life

Dylan enters the room with a bright smile. He gives me a kiss on the cheek, but my mood has darkened into suspicious paranoia. Talking to my mother's left me emotionally confused. Feeling as if nothing I've experienced can be real. Not even Dylan's love for me. Julia's been watching us carefully. Sensing the approaching storm, she abruptly announces she's leaving.

"I think I'll head home." She looks at the empty truffle box as if she doesn't recall eating all of them. Patting her stomach, she tosses the chocolate tin into the trash. Then pecking me on the cheek, she quickly leaves. "Lizzy, call me if you need anything honey."

Once we're by ourselves, I can't help myself. I jump down Dylan's throat with my suspicions he's flirting with Cruise. "Dylan, Julia was telling me Officer Cruise gave you a ride to the cemetery yesterday. Why were you two together?" This romantic scene isn't going as I planned. I know I'm being combative and bitchy, but I can't stop myself.

"My God Lizzy, she saved your life! Why are you being so vindictive? This isn't like you. Besides, you know I love you!" Dylan sits next to me on the bed, earnestly staring at me. God, he's so handsome. Anguished, I remember what Julia said about being out of my league with him. It's almost as if there's a little gremlin on my shoulder, egging me into this fight.

"Cruise didn't save my life, Donna did" I vehemently declare. "Why did you go around my back?" Before I speak, I regret my words.

Dylan looks confused and wounded. "I didn't go around your back, Lizzy. All I wanted to do was be there to protect you, yesterday." He's holding my hand, looking straight into my eyes, confused.

I hate myself as I pull away from him. "Stop trying to placate me, Dylan. What were you doing with her after I left the hospital? What's going on between you two?"

He finally loses his patience with me. "I know you practically raised yourself, Lizzy, but you have to start trusting me!" Slamming the door he leaves. I break down into tears, knowing this all my fault. I never knew my father. Now I believe he's a murderer. A hidden part of me fears I'm not worthy of being loved by Dylan. Or anyone.

As I sit there crying, Julia peeks her head back in the room. "Hi, I forgot my purse. Oh dear! What's wrong, Lizzy?" She quickly figures out why I'm crying. "Did you and Dylan have a fight?"

I nod, tears streaming down my face, while my breath comes in ragged gulps. She sits down and hugs me. Suddenly, she starts laughing. I'm so surprised, I stop crying, "What's so funny, Julia?" I look at her, miserably.

"I realized you've just had your first big fight. It's been so long since I was in a new relationship that I forgot about those new lover's quarrels. Listen honey," Julia takes my hands in hers. "I was wrong about Dylan. Forget what I said earlier. He's good for you. You're good for each other."

"Really?" I ask.

She nods. "I wouldn't tell you that if I didn't believe it. You know I have a strong bullshit detector. I can't filter!"

I start laughing. It's true Julia can be raunchy when she's not being Miss Manners. I share my suspicions about Dylan with her. "I was upset Dylan was talking to Officer Cruise, yesterday. I accused him of cheating on me."

Julia laughs in disbelief. "You were jealous of Halle?" I nod. "Well, don't be! She has a girlfriend. I think Dylan was asking her about applying to the Police Academy."

Thank you for reading! 👻