Chapter 7

Age

8

4

It's been 2 weeks since Yuuri entered our life and it's all been the best weeks of my life. Speaking of, Yuuri's birthday is in 2 weeks. "Hey, Yuuri!" I called from the bathroom. I was just getting dressed and brushing my teeth and hair and all that stuff so I was free to chat. "Yeah?" "What do you like doing?" I asked. "We haven't ever talked about your hobbies have we?" "I like..." Yuuri paused. "Ice skating..." He said so softly I almost didn't hear him. 'Ice skating?' After living in a country covered in ice all year long for my entire life, I've never considered picking up skates once. "That's cool! Anything else?" I asked pulling on my sneakers. I now had a plan.

❄❄❄❄❄

I asked mom if we could go down to an ice rink to see what we could do for Yuuri's birthday. Naturally, my amazing charisma won her over. She was pretty hesitant about it in the beginning so I had to basically plead for her to take me. 

I shivered a little as we stepped into the building with the ice rink. I felt a surge of energy flow through me and I had an indescribable urge to step onto the ice. Even if I fell it would not be in vain. A simple taste of the power that flowed through here would make up for it. The energy was indescribable, it felt sort of like mini bolts of electricity shooting through me, I felt the adrenaline rushing through my veins, and the cold wind blew through my hair. 

"Can I skate mom?" I asked tugging on her arm. "Sure!" She said handing me 100 rupees for my skate rentals and session.

I immediately ran to the counter and signed up for the next beginners class.

❄❄❄❄❄

Stepping onto the ice I heard a satisfying clunk as the blades hit the ice. I felt the adrenaline pumping through my body making me feel warm and excited. 'Why haven't I skate before now?'

I'd been one of the first to get my skates on in my class. Most of my class appeared to be 6 but there were a few people that were my age and older, a lot of them were younger though. I suddenly felt a little out of place and I felt obligated to learn as much as I could. I was after all a pretty prideful person!

We started out with basic starting and stopping at lower speeds, then turning and coasting to a stop. I did pretty well. I had good balance the instructor said and I only fell once at the very end when a 4-year-old fell over onto me. He reminded me a lot of Yuuri so even if I wanted to hold a grudge against him I wouldn't have been able to.

The instructor talked to me about this thing called figure skating. She said she'd be happy to coach me when I got there. I can't wait till I can start. I officially love ice skating.

'Yuuri will be so happy!' "Here," I said giving the receptionist 500 rupees and collecting my two new prized possessions. I couldn't believe this was happening...

My goal in life has begun to unfold around me...

---+= Words 549 =+---  

wow... it's almost been a year since I started this book and I'm just realizing how short this chapter is!