Chapter 4

Don't Play - Halsey
__________

      I slept with the calm satisfaction that this place was familiar. I don't understand why it calmed me. I knew it should've scared me; but it didn't. I couldn't come up with a reason as to why the familiarity of this place gave me even a semblance of peace.

I wasn't really sleeping either. Well...I was...but very lightly. It was like half my mind was asleep but the other half was awake.

I couldn't see or feel anything but I heard everything. I heard the distant snores from the boys outside. I heard my slow inhales of air as my figure slept. I heard the gentle breeze that still swayed the trees and whistled through the leaves. I heard the creak of the wood from the walls and floors of Homestead. I heard Newt breathing smoothly from the other side of the room. But the sounds that really frightened me, were the sounds from outside the wall.

There was the sound of metal scraping against concrete like it was being dragged. Then there was a loud repetitive clicking sound. Ending with the sound of whooshing and whirring.

Were those the monsters that Chuck was telling me about? What were they called again...Grievers, I think.

I wonder what they actually look like up close. I mean the way Chuck described the Grievers just made me more curious than scared about the Maze.

Every once and awhile, Ben's screams would sound through Glade but no one was really effected by it.

It was sad.

By the middle of the night, I was still a jumpy mess from the screams. Though I some how managed to fall into a deeper sleep where reality felt like nothing but a dream, and where the screams felt like nothing more than a dog barking in the distance.

I think I had a dream.

I heard voices. Male and female voices. One male. One female.

Like in the box, I couldn't hear what they were saying, but I knew they were having a conversation that was beyond serious. I wanted to yell out at them. Tell them to help me get out of this place, but before I could even think of what to say, the male voice spoke clearly. As if directed to me.

You forgot to tie your boots up...you never listen. The voice chastised me as if speaking to a long-time friend. It made me want to roll my eyes, but before I could even blink, the voices were gone and so were their presences.

Empty. That's what I felt.

I woke up just as the moon settled behind the wall and the sky transitioned into a light purple. I didn't move. I just stared up at the ceiling and counted the many nails that weren't fully hammered into the wood. It's amazing how this building actually stood.

"Good morning, Greenbean." I heard a hush voice say.

I jumped, snapping my head to the left. My cold glare softened when I realized it was Newt waking up. I relaxed into my sleeping bag, letting my nerves settle.

"Morning." I croaked.

"Did you sleep good?" Newt turned onto his side, propping himself up on his right elbow, staring at me with tired eyes.

His morning voice.... My thoughts screamed, while I blinked at Newt.

I quickly shook my head before rolling onto my side and facing Newt, "I was sorta...half asleep and half awake. So...I am pretty tired. Though I don't think I'll be able to get back to sleep any time soon."

Newt nodded before speaking, "Yeah...it happens to most Greenbeans. No worries though. Over time you'll get more comfortable."

The corner of my lip tugged up while my eyes drifted off to some random place on the floor.