~Chapter 15~

AN: Heya, beautiful people! Hope October finds you all well (Halloween anyone? :D).

This chapter invites even more drama and another opportunity to let Zackie roam free (you'll see what I am talking about hehe).

Thanks a bunch for reading. Leave some love,

Fearsome Hamster

There he was.

Dressed to impress like a noble gentleman. Entertaining his guests like a true host. Smiling a brilliantly human smile.

His deceiving appearance was almost perfect. However, it was his eyes which were giving him away. They were indeed the window to the soul. She should have realised all along that there was too much untamed wildness in those violet orbs to pass as mere mortal. Too much unrestrained power in those eyes watching her each move like a hawk. It was as if he was waiting for her to crash.

But would he catch her or let her fall? A broken animal was easier to subdue after all.

Following the earth-shattering revelation, Zachary had remained by her side the entire evening. He led her patiently back in the dining hall, made them sit side by side this time, with one long arm curved protectively around her back and the other caressing her palm. Faced with such a picture of pre-marital bliss, who could ever guess the truth? Thankfully, the farce had ended when her grandmother, bless her heart, claimed she needed rest for her old aching bones.

After showing Nana, Thomas and her father to their respective chambers for the night, they remained alone once again in the bedroom Zachary had chosen for her. Margo was not surprised that the suite was exquisitely furbished as if awaiting blue blood royalty. Even less surprising was that his chamber was right across the hall from hers.

Easily spotting the massive four poster bed, Margo sat on its softness. The brooding beast was still in the room. The silence between them was defeaning. Was this the moment he killed her? She shivered.

Still, was he not the same man she had come to know or was that an illusion as well?

Scowling, he crossed the distance to the unlit fireplace in long strides and crouched. With precise movements, welcoming crackling of fire soon filled the room. He believed she was cold...how thoughtful. Was it possible she was making a mistake by judging him too harshly or was this her betraying heart speaking?

Margo could not help but ask. "Is this not a chore for the many attendants you have?"

"I prefer to take care after you with my own two hands," Zachary replied gruffly. He added heavy pieces of wood in the burning fire, not glancing her way.

The young woman cleared her throat and asked bravely. "Will you hurt my family?" She squirmed on the mattress. This answer mattered the most.

Dropping the fire poker he was holding, he shot her a disbelieving look. "You care after those people...Though I might make an exception for your father."

"How about me, will you hurt me?"

Zachary growled savagely, raising himself up to an imposing frame. In a flash, he appeared by her side, holding her cheeks in both his palms. His fangs were out and his eyes were glowing an ethereal violet. No purpose to hiding his true nature anymore. "Have my actions ever suggested this aberration you're spewing? Tell me."

"Boore was murdered in front of me by the very hands you are touching me with," she countered. Never would she forget the ferocity of that night. She had to remind herself what he was capable of.

He recoiled, wounded by her stinging words. "His intention to hurt you brought his death," he hissed, no shadow of regret on his handsome face. Zachary ran a hand through his dark locks. "Can you not see I am the same?"