Chapter 18

Shane watched as Connor Jordan lowered himself onto the chair in his office

Shane watched as Connor Jordan lowered himself onto the chair in his office. The hunter then directed a glare at the professor.

"Do you have any idea what I've been through?" He spat and Shane just watched him. "I've spent the last two days chained up in the Originals' basement."

Shane hummed. "So you've met Klaus then?" It was phrased as a question but it was more of a statement.

Connor narrowed his eyes at the man, annoyance clear on his features. "And his sisters and one brother."

Shane's eyes widened slightly at the information. Of course, he and his employer expected the hunter to meet some of the Originals but they didn't exactly expect the entire family. "I only know them by reputation. Apparently they're monsters."

The hunter rolled his eyes and leaned back in the chair with a pained sigh. "They're the first vampires in existence, of course they are." The man began. "Klaus is the biggest monster of them, though. He's a vampire-werewolf hybrid. Do you know how hard it is to kill them?"

"From what I gather, you have to remove their head or their heart." Shane repeated what he read from some of his books. He still wasn't exactly sure because according to most of the occult books that he had come across, vampire-werewolf hybrids shouldn't even exist. "That is according to lore. I'm just speculating."

Connor rolled his eyes. "I had to figure out how to do it on my own." He gestured at the shelves of occult books. "I could've used some of this occult Professor knowledge of yours. Then again, you've always been slow when it comes to providing answers."

Shane narrowed his eyes because he knew what Connor was referring to. "You're told what you need to. Besides, we had a deal. I'll give you answers about your hunter's mark when it's grown to completion."

"In other words, kill as many vampires as possible." Connor said and Shane just nodded quickly. "You know, the vampires have given me more information about this mark than you and whoever the hell you're working for has."

Shane glared at the man in front of him. "I suggest you don't question him. And as for the vampires, why do you think we sent you to Mystic Falls?" Connor didn't answer so Shane continued. "There's no shortage of vampires. The town is practically infested."

The professor hesitated, wondering if he should tell the hunter about the young witch he was trying to recruit. He sighed and decided to tell him, if only to keep the hunter from going after her.

"Listen, there's a witch mixed up in all this. I want her to be kept out of harm's way."

Connor gave him an incredulous look before his eyes narrowed in annoyance. "Anybody gets in my way, anybody, they're dead."

Shane sighed loudly and ran his hand over his face. "Okay. Sure, I'll occupy her myself. Just do what you do. As long as you get results, the less I know about it the better."