CHAPTER 19

Jake, Tony, and Sarah made their way down to ground level to a poolside restaurant with an open bar. People sauntered about with towels around their necks, water dripping from their toned bodies, and multicolored drinks in their hands. Jake and Tony knew the place by heart as they showed Sarah to a table midway between the pool and tiki-hut bar. The resort had an abundance of umbrella covered tables spread out through a vista of crowded vacationers showcasing their swimwear. By the time they placed their orders, lunch was being offered as an alternative to the breakfast menu.

Jake rubbed his clean-shaven chin, his fingertip caressing the minor cut. There was no fresh blood. That was good. After taking the last bite of a swordfish club sandwich, Tony excused himself for the restroom, leaving Sarah and Jake alone to finish their meals.

Jake sipped from a glass of iced tea—no alcohol in front of Sarah, too early anyway—and noticed her looking past him into the distance. "What's bothering you?"

"The lack of marine life around the reef. So far from shore, away from swimmers... there should be fish, sea turtles, you name it."

"What's your inner scientist telling you?"

"That's just it, I don't know. The coral is healthy. And I don't buy your idea that there's some toxin we can't detect." She stared off into space. "It's like the fish just... vanished."

"Or got eaten by a giant barracuda," he said, meaning to be serious, but his lips cracked into a smile. The notion seemed ridiculous.

Sarah pierced him with condescending eyes. "I told you barracudas don't get that big. You must have seen a―"

"It was no shark." Jake lost the feeling of mirth and lowered his voice a notch. "But whatever it was, it was huge. And from what Kevin found in Tahiti, I think we have the same problem here. The predator they reported seeing matches the description of what I saw."

"Maybe? I just find it hard to believe one giant fish could do so much damage."

"Maybe there's more than one?" He dropped his napkin and rose from the table. He wasn't angry, only irritated she gave so little weight to his first person account. "We better go. You've got some shopping to do." The words had just left his mouth when he saw two men talking to the bartender. They had stiff postures and serious demeanors, and they seemed to be asking pointed questions.

Sarah eased her chair back and stood, oblivious to the activity behind her.

"Kiss me," Jake said.

"What?" Confusion rolled across her face. "You can't work your way in that easy."

"Just do it. There are two men at the bar. They might be looking for us."

He grabbed her around the waist and pulled her tight to him. "Trust me."

Blood flushed to Sarah's cheeks, and a nervous grin crept upon her face.

Jake peered past her at the men, his eyes probing them for weapons. He focused on one of them and found what he was looking for. The butt of a handgun jutted out from beneath a lightweight jacket, its form visible from under the thin layer of clothing, probably the only reason the man wore the additional layer in the morning heat.

The man turned in his direction.

Jake leaned in and pressed his lips to Sarah's. Albeit difficult, he peeked occasionally at the pair at the bar. To begin with, she tensed up, ridged and unyielding, but after a few seconds she relaxed in his arms. Her lips softened against his. The berry gloss she used to keep them moist overwhelmed him with the memory of what it was like to kiss her. Tender. Sweet. He couldn't think of anything better. A wave of warmth rushed over him. It'd been a while since he'd felt her touch. The vanilla-coconut fragrance of her shampoo. The pressure of her body against his, hip to hip, as she tugged him closer. He wanted to forget about the men at the bar and get lost in Sarah once more.

But their safety came first.

The bartender looked their way, then turned back to the two men and shook his head. He must have sensed trouble.

Jake was grateful for the unwarranted help. The men seemed convinced and disappeared into the mass of beach goers. Once they were gone, he held Sarah close to judge her response to the aggressive move. Her eyes were wide. She dropped her chin and opened her mouth.

"I see you guys made up," Tony said.

Jake tilted his head. "You have a way of sneaking up on people."

"It's not what it looks like," Sarah said, pulling free from his arms.

"Believe it or not, two men were at the bar and they had guns. They were looking for us."

"Or so you say. Don't do that again... ever."

Jake opened his mouth, but nothing came out.

"I think you two have some deep issues to work out," Tony said, wagging his head.

In the heat of the moment, Jake regretted not shaving his whiskers into a goatee, but he forgot all about their petty differences when he saw the two men from the bar in the distance. They mingled in the crowd, questioning a handful of vacationers. "I told you our friends from last night were onto us."

Reality seemed to set in for Sarah when she glimpsed them.

"What's the plan?" Tony asked Jake.

"We act cool, keep our heads, and return to the room for our things. We take only what we can carry in a hurry."

"You won't be able to bring your suitcases." Sarah's lips curled slyly.

"Then we go shopping... for you." He returned her smile with a smooth one of his own.

"And after that?" Tony said.

"We do like we planned. We wait daylight out in town and when it gets dark, we take the Saint Charles to the wreck site."

"That could be risky with these guys on our tail." Sarah's focus returned. Her tone and body language hardened, not a shred of insecurity. Jake realized she was through playing games and back to business.

"I don't think we have a choice if we want to get to the bottom of this."