Chapter 24

hey y'all. so, bad news, my laptop BROKE.

i have to send it to the company so they can fix it, so i probably won't have it for a week or so, so i'll most likely won't be able to update. i'll still be writing (i downloaded the google docs app to help me out lol) but actually posting might be difficult.

hope you guys understand. just hope it gets fixed quickly omg.

________________________________________________________

Chapter 24

City Girl's POV:

Rarely at work do we have proper, sit down meetings. Usually our boss, Teresa, would just walk out of her office and into the large room where the rest of us worked and announce whatever she needed to, before letting us resume our work. But after work yesterday, she had sent a mass e-mail to everybody, stating how there was something extremely important she had to discuss. Normally, I would be buzzing with anticipation to know what she needed to talk to us about, but she had mentioned something about a shift in positions and someone getting promoted, and suddenly everyone at work was texting each other back and forth, wondering who could possibly be gaining a higher position.

Rufus and I, as well as the two other copy editors that worked with us, Joan and Gabriel, tried not to get our hopes up too high. Copy editors was the second highest ranking position in the firm, anything higher than that was book editor, which was Teresa's job, so we doubted that any of us were involved in the promotion. But the literary agents, scouts, publicists and everyone else had a good chance of working their way up. I had been lucky being able to land a job as copy editor, which had been part-time at first but I worked my way into being full-time, so I wasn't placing any bets on myself getting this.

The meeting room we were all settled in was abuzz with excitement, and I sat between Rufus and Joan around the big rectangular table as we waited for Teresa to walk in. "Honestly, if it's one of us copy editors, I hope to God it isn't me," Rufus muttered next to me, prompting me to glance at him with a quirked eyebrow.

"Why not?" I asked curiously. Isn't wanting a promotion the normal thing to do?

Rufus scoffed almost incredulously, leaning back in the wheeled chair as he said, "You kidding me? Promotions always mean more work and I, for one, like the workload I have now."

It was my turn to scoff as I rolled my eyes, arms loosely crossing over my chest as I playfully chastised, "You're such a lazy ass."

He nodded firmly. "And a proud one, at that."

With a fond shake of my head, I crossed my right leg over my left knee just as Teresa strode in, an air of confidence surrounding her and an excited grin on her face. Immediately the room shushed upon her arrival as she stood at the end of the table, everyone looking at her expectantly as she smoothed down her dress pants and looked at all of us. "I know you all are excited with anticipation, so I'm not going to beat around the bush," she began, cool and collected. "I've been thinking about this for months now, so when I say this isn't something I've decided impulsively, trust that."

Teresa paused for a moment, looking at each of us, the smile returning to her face. "Simon and Schuster is opening up its new office in Los Angeles, and the Board of Directors has asked me to be their Head Book Editor on the west coast."

Following her words were exclaims of congratulatory as well as some clapping, and I grinned as I clapped as well, happy for my boss. Our publishing firm wasn't, but so far we only had offices in here in New York, Chicago, and Philadelphia. The first one in the west coast was bound to expand our horizons — evening having one open across the country was huge — and I knew no body was better suited for the job than Teresa.