Prologue

Scarlett.

Yes, Scarlett just like Scarlett O'Hara from Gone With the Wind. Maybe she could even be the modern day great beauty. And Delightful and conniving as her namesake.

It was true that Scarlett Donovan could never be referred to as kind and sweet and innocent. Those were laughable virtues to explain her. She was what we would refer to as the mean girl. The girl we all wish and pray for their downfall.

But I wonder deep down what made a person become the despised 'mean girl'. Perhaps some of them were never given the chance to be anything but the mean girl. Life sometimes gives us little to no choice on who and what we become.

With a mother and grandparents who are indifferent and slightly disgusted by her existence, perhaps Scarlett' inner good aura was never given a chance to blossom. She learned from a very early age –five to be exact when her mother boxed her ears for wishing to play dolls with her – that life is not fair, you make it fair to suit your needs and wishes.

So she is the hateful girl. The mean one, the sarcastic one. The rich and beautiful. But crafty and conniving. What stopped her from being completely rotten was the love and nurture of her daddy. A sweet man from humble origins who was despised by his wife and Scarlett's mother. But he loved Scarlett with all his being. We must thank God for small blessings.

But that was not always enough. Scarlett longs for the day where she will be accepted by both her grandparents and mother. So invested that she does whatever is asked of her. Some wrong and some painful. Including marrying a man to strengthen the family business. Unfortunately, her chosen husband is in-love with her cousin and despises Scarlett. And Scarlett despises him just as much and does not bother to hide her feelings.

But the ice princess falls for a man, the smart and handsome Korey Holland. With her wits and talents, Scarlett fights her way to win Korey's affection and love. Perhaps Korey was her Rhett Butler. And for the first time in her life, Scarlett goes against her mother and grandmother all in the name of love.

She files for separation and divorce from her husband. But alas, Rhett was not who she thought he was. With had a heart and mind for vengeance he uses Scarlett's devotion and love as a weapon to punish her husband, and Scarlett is caught in the cross-fire. A very deadly cross-fire. She lost everything, her family, her future children, her health, prestige, emotions, and her happiness. What people do for love eh?

The downfall we all wish for the mean girl had arrived. To be with his true love, her "husband" schemes and plots to ruin Scarlett's reputation all in a bid to divert the truth of his betrayal and unfaithfulness, and go one to live a life with his one true love unscathed. A fitting scheme, draw attention away from themselves by making Scarlett the scapegoat and ensuring their happiness. Has the mean girl suffered enough? 

No. Her turmoil continues. Her mother and grandparent disown her. All that she could take, but the last remnants of hope she had placed in Korey was dashed. Truth becomes blatantly clear and he stands on the sidelines mocking her suffering.

Her father always did say his child would be destined to ascend unparalleled glory and power. He was prophesying. Our mean girl realizes that she has indeed allowed life to be a cruel and dark abyss with which there was no escape. She must survive on her own, by any means necessary; orthodox or unorthodox. And with no more than a goodbye, she leaves the country on a private jet with her daddy and friend.

Time and time again she had had to sit through the teasing and the ribbing of Gone With the Wind jokes. She had grown tired of it. But now it had become her mantra. So on the last steps of the jet, she turns around to gaze at the sun descending over the city of Caveil, the city of wealth, and she made an oath.

"As God is my witness, as God is my witness they're not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over, I'll never be hurt or powerless again. No, nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat or kill. As God is my witness, I'll never be powerless and hurt again!"

One thing is for certain you never keep a Scarlett down. They rise back-up stronger, wiser and most importantly deadly.