17. A meeting in the woods.

Spike was going as fast as possible keeping a close eye on Art. The boy was hanging in his saddle and barley holding on. He regretted pushing him this hard but they had no time to rest. The rash action of Nox to incapacitate him, a King appointed protector and poison Art had given him a new insight in the Beta of the Royal Guard. As soon as they returned he would give Wren his full support in whatever the Alpha had planned for Nox. He just hoped Nox wouldn't act before time.

He also saw Art getting weaker by the minute.

"Hold on, Art. Just hold on a little while longer."

Art hardly heard him. He actually had no idea how he was even still on the horse. It felt like something else held on for dear life. Something vaguely familiar.

"Charlotte? I love you", he whispered before darkness swept over him.

"Why isn't he waking up?" Spike said with his hands in his hair.

Delia, one of the few women in the sanctuary looked at him with a reassuring smile.

"Darren assured me that the treatment was working. So stop worrying and do your chores."

Ignoring his pleas to stay by Art's side she pushed him out of the room.

"He's fine. His wounds are almost completely healed. What he now needs is rest. So let him sleep."

Spike went reluctantly, leaving the boy's side for the first time in three days.

When the King first assigned him to the little Omega, he wasn't too thrilled. Without boasting he could claim to be the best of the Kings personal bodyguards. Babysitting a bratty kid was hurting his ego. But he came to like Art. In the short time they spent together he noticed something different about the boy that was difficult to describe. Something special. Art was though and vulnerable at the same time. Funny thing was that Spike had the strangest impression that his wolf was the vulnerable one.

Charlotte opened her eyes and blinked a few times to adjust to the bright light.

"Art, are you there?"

Still nothing.

Charlotte knew that Art had used every ounce of strength to protect her against the poison Nox had injected to kill her. It was an absolute miracle she survived.

"So, you're finally awake", she heard a voice say, startling her.

She looked around the room and discovered a man sitting in the corner. He was making a potion. Sniffing the air she recognized a mixture of harmless herbs.

"My name is Darren. You arrived in my sanctuary almost four days ago."

Charlotte was a little startled by this answer. Four days?

"Don't panic, little one. Art is alright. He's just resting."

He smiled, walked over and sat down on a chair next to her bed.

"I am very pleased to meet you, Charlotte", he said letting her gasp for air.

"How?" escaped her lips before she regained control.

No one ever talked to her directly being in human form. Ever. Looking around for signs of danger she moved too quickly and grunted at the sharp stabs of pain.

"Please, remain as still as possible. Your wounds have healed nicely, but your body is still very weak."

She leaned back eying his suspiciously.

"I know this may sound incredible but your Spirit Wolf helped me with your treatment", Darren said with a soft smile on his face.

Charlotte shook her head. All her life she had been told that keeping her identity a secret was imperative for their survival. No stranger would trick her into revealing herself.