15 | Anyone Special?

F I F T E E N

~She is what the world loves to hate- pure, authentic, tested and brave.~

c a l e b

"Of course you should! How is this even a question?" Mom's bewildered is mixed with excitement, both the emotions making her almost bounce on the bed.

Well then, I guess It's safe to say that she approves of the plan.

The happiness in her eyes as I'd recited our route for the weekend would've made you think her son was an anti social teenager with a crippling anxiety of the outside world.

Throughout the entirety of her sickness, she's never let it get the best of her, fighting to always stay optimistic while tending to enjoy every second of her life.

If only optimism could be genetically passed on.

It was hard to ignore the way Adelin had lit up while Mase informed us about the beach house being available and I had also seen that very light dim when I'd told them about my chances of not going.

To say that a warmth hadn't settled in me at the knowledge of my absence affecting her would be a big fat lie, one that I was over telling myself.

I know she's been through horrible things, it's clear in the way her expression grows distant and how sometimes she refuses to let go of her ring necklace that she's battled many more demons than she let's on.

And for some reason, the urge to want to be the one to help her outrun whatever's chasing her is almost primal. Which is also terrifying because I've never felt this way before about anyone other than my mother and sister.

Though I now know that this instinct of protectiveness extends to not only Adelin but to the rest of my friends as well.

Yesterday was one of the best times I've ever had. To be with them-bickering, joking and just spending time together-feels like being a part of something special. Something homely.

And I like it. A lot.

"I notice the way each day your steps get ligher, your smile gets wider and that makes me very happy, Caleb." My mother whispers softly, smiling at me with glistening green eyes neither Bloom nor I had inherited.

I grab her weak hand with mine, kissing it gently, returning that kind smile.

"This place has grown on me. I like the bonds I've developed, the people I've met and the memories I've already made. I'm glad you chose to come here." I admit truthfully, seeing now more than ever the reason behind her decision.

I feel my phone vibrate, a grin making it's way onto my face when I catch sight of the name displayed on the screen.

Starlight.

"Anyone special?" Mom pokes the side of my stomach, mischief now lining her eyes.

Rolling my eyes, I joke "No wonder Bloom's so nosy." standing up to go to my room I'm right about to exit hers when I hear her call out "Let me meet her soon."

Ascending the marble stairs, my eyes run over the digital letters. I've been calling her Starlight ever since the day we went to the doctor.

Even though I stayed outside after Adelin assured me there was nothing to worry about and that-and I quote-"It's just a normal check up" I could see through her lie.

Noah had come to Knights that day fuming about something Adelin had done and I've only ever seen my friend that angry once-when he and Ash had gotten in an argument during soccer practice.