Cheating The Deck {21}

***Jack's POV***

                I paced around my room, unable to stop thinking about Ace's face at the store. I'd never seen anyone look so terrified in my entire life.

                His whole body had seemed paralyzed and he looked like he wasn't even there anymore. He was right in front of me, but he was a million miles away.

                But what the hell had terrified him? There'd been some guy behind us, but after a second glance, Ace's face didn't show any actual recognition of that guy. So what had freaked him out so badly?

                I heard the door downstairs open and closed my eyes, taking a deep breath. I had to stop worrying about it before Delaney noticed something was up. I'd go over and check on Ace if I didn't hear from him within three hours.

                My bedroom door opened and Delaney stepped in. He looked at me with eyes that were wildly hurt and betrayed.

                "Dex?" I asked, frowning.

                "How could you do this to me, Jack? How?" he asked.

                "Do what? Dex, quit acting like I shot your puppy," I said. "What did I do this time?"

                "Ace," he said.

                Oh. Oh shit.

                "I did not do Ace," I said.

                "He said he thought you'd told me," Delaney said, watching me for my reaction.

                I felt my face fall, but not for the reason Delaney would think. Ace had really sold out our relationship to Delaney. God damn.

                "Jack," he said, shoulders dropping in sadness. "You knew I liked him. I told you. And you went ahead kissing him and taking him out on dates. You get the guy again. Congratulations."

                "Dex, wait!" I said, moving towards him. "It's not what you think, I swear."

                "Then what is it, Jack?" he cried, eyes desperate. "Why did you have to ruin this for me? Why did you have to hide it from me and pretend you hated Ace while you were sucking face with him behind my fucking back?"

                "Hold on!" I said, throwing my hand up. "It hasn't been going on that long."

                "Ace showed me the CDs," he said, dropping his head. "The dates on them, Jack...this has been going on long enough."

                I mentally groaned. What the hell had Ace done? He knew as well as I did that those first couple of CDs hadn't been dates or romantic things. Just me trying to do some damage control so he didn't hurt Delaney.

                "Delaney," I said, which caught his attention. "You know I wouldn't want to hurt you on purpose. I was going to tell you eventually. It didn't become serious until after he turned you down."

                "You were kissing him while I was talking to him! You could've at least told me!" he said, voice getting loud again.

                And I knew why he was hurt. I knew every guy he'd ever been attracted to or had a crush on since we met ended up asking me out instead. I knew he was sick and tired of always watching his chances slip away into my hands.