Chapter 12

^Pic of a griffin

ALEXIS

My dad just stared at the older man incredulously, "You can't be serious. Charles, werewolves haven't had interaction with griffins in ages."

"I can recognize this scent from anywhere. I may be old, but I will never forget the scent of griffins. I hate those creatures," Charles said, glaring at the rogues.

Throughout this exchange, I was silent and confused. I had no idea what griffins were, but everyone else seemed to have an idea from their grim looks.  I stepped backward towards Hudson and leaned over slightly so he could hear me. 

"What are griffins?" I whispered, looking at him from the corner of my eye. His head turned to me and a frown formed on his face.

"You don't know what griffins are?"

I shook my head. 

"Have your parents ever told you that story about the great war? The one where werewolves fought against creatures that were part eagle part lion? Those creatures were griffins."

My mouth fell open, "That story was real? I thought they told that just to scare kids."

My mom had told me the story several times. It all started when a griffin had killed a werewolf that was wandering in the mountains, which was where the griffins resided. The werewolves got angry and attacked the griffins, which led to a two-month war between the two species. In the end, the griffins surrendered after losing so many of their kind and disappeared. No one saw them again after that war.

Hudson shook his head and turned back to the conversation my dad was having with Charles.

"If griffins are still around, why are they attacking us now? They had decades to get their revenge," My dad asked.

"I don't know," Charles shrugged.

"I don't think they're planning for revenge," Hudson interrupted, "If they are, why would they use rogues? Rogues are werewolves after all. It would make more sense if they killed the rogues themselves."

I stared at the dead rogues as if they would give me the answer. Hudson had a point– if the griffins wanted revenge on werewolves, why didn't they kill the rogues?

My wolf stirred in my head and she started pacing back and forth in deep thought.

What do you think about this?

Boston said mate's dad went to witch. Witch said something about rogues and Moon Goddess's blessing. You are blessed. Rogues want you.

My face paled as my wolf continued to piece things together. If she was heading in the right direction, it meant that the griffins wanted something from me. What could they possibly want? My blood only healed werewolves, it wouldn't benefit them in any way. 

"Alexis, sweetie, what's wrong?"

I snapped from my daze as my dad stood in front of me with a concerned look on his face. My mouth suddenly felt very dry and my heart started pounding in my ears.  I was going into panic mode. 

"The–the rogues, they," I stuttered out in a rush, my head snapping back to the dead wolves. My dad looked confused, but I kept panicking. It was as if I expected the rogues to come back to life and take me away.

 A warm hand pressed against my stiff back, causing me to relax almost immediately.  Hudson massaged my lower back gently, trying to send some comfort through the mate bond.

"Calm down Alexis," he murmured, "just speak slowly. Don't panic."

I wet my lips and turned to him with a determined look on my face. "Your dad went to see the what the witches had to say about the rogues, correct?"