30. STEVE: Somewhere in Brooklyn

Words: 1K

Warnings: Language and some gross catcalling 

A/N: Anyone heard the song Somewhere in Brooklyn by Bruno Mars??? It's sooo good: my favorite Bruno song by far. It's kinda-sorta inspiration for this chapter. 

"Hey baby! Come over here and daddy'll give you a ride!"

"Nice tits, babe!"

"Come on, mamma! Smile for me..."

Steve's blood runs hot at the obnoxious, misogynistic calls he hears coming from the other side of the Brooklyn city street. Peering over the heads of much shorter tourists his blue eyes spot the disgusting excuses of men parked on the front porch of a raggedy apartment with their tank tops showing muscled, tattooed arms and bulging veins. Their eyes are trained on a pretty young woman as she passes—her jeans tight and hair pulled up high atop her head as she passes the front yard.

One of the callers has risen from his porch. He makes to start following the girl down the length of his property. On the other side of the dried grass barrier, the woman blatantly ignores him. But this bastard's behavior is something Steve physically cannot ignore.

"Why so sad, gorgeous? You need a real man to fill you up?"

Steve's quickly glancing left and right across the street so that he can cross. The voices are growing louder—closer.

The woman is blocked from the rest of her once-peaceful walk. One of the men has stepped out ahead of her. There's a huge, leering man for every side of her.

"Come on, pretty tits. Give daddy a kiss..."

The woman, who has been staring blankly ahead of her the whole time, finally raises her eyes to the man who talks to her now. Back behind, as one of the pigs is reaching out for a handful of her ass. Steve runs faster.

But before anyone can grab at the woman, she's snatched the assaulter by the wrist. Long manicured nails dig into his flesh.

"If your hand touches me," the woman speaks for the first time in a low voice, "It'll be the last time you touch anything." She narrows her brightly colored eyes. Her perfectly flicked eyeliner doesn't budge as she stares around at each of the men.

The first one, clearly the leader of the posse, chuckles. "Naughty girl."

The woman is the one to smirk now. "You have no idea."

Hold still tight on the man behind, the young woman yanks him closer until he's flush to her back and she can jam her elbow straight up and into his jaw. The crack of a broken nose is closely followed by a steady flow of dark red blood. The man staggers back, trying to slow the flow and ease the pain in his face, while the other three jump into action.

Meanwhile, Steve's stopped running. He stands stagnant a few yards behind on the street—watching silently. He saw how fast this woman moved. He knows she doesn't need his help. But in case she does... he's not going far.

The young woman, legs long and beautiful in high heeled boots, easily ducks out of the way of a few pathetic punches. She teases them for a few moments longer, darting and pushing them into one another like a dog would sheep, before growing bored of the game. That's when she finishes with the last three: an elbow to the throat of one, three punches in the face to the other, and for the last she swipes his legs out from under him with hers. Only when he's flat on the ground and sprawled out like the pile of shit he is does she come to stand over him. She captures both of his wrists in the divots of her heels—pinning him down.

"I told you I was naughty, daddy." The woman smirks at her own cleverness before twisting her feet just so—effectively snapping both the wrists of the man who lies under her. His wail is loud and pathetic, in her opinion.

The woman steps away. Wiping the sweat from her palms onto her jeans, she notices Steve standing there a few yards away.

"Want a turn, blondie?" She cocks up a perfectly trimmed and filled eyebrow. The shimmery gold makeup on her cheekbones catches the light and makes her eyes shine brighter.

Steve closes his dropped jaw. He smiles, shaking his head left and right. "No. I was just watching the show."

"Good. I'm sure I could teach you a few things if you watched close enough." She tightens her ponytail—leaning down to pick up her purse from the ground.

"Oh, I know you could." Steve grins. He shoves his hands into his pockets and can't help but admire the woman—especially as she scoffs at his wide-eyed stare.

"Stay pretty, blondie." The woman turns on a heel and waves to him over her shoulder. "And thanks for coming over to help..." She winks back at him, "Even though I didn't need it." Her whole body sways left to right with the motion of the earth as she struts down the street—not a fear nor care in the world. Steve doesn't know where she's going, but he's suddenly filled with the desire to be there, too.

But Steve's got places to be and people to see. He finishes his walk through Brooklyn, stepping over the blood puddles left behind by the men who have now fled into their home, and shakes his head with a low chuckle. He hasn't seen anything like that in a long time... it's been just as long since he's seen a woman of that caliber.

At the Tower a little while later Steve's up in one of the offices across the table from Tony. Bucky is here to his left side and Nat to his right. There are stale, cheap bagels on the table that Clint picks at dishearteningly. Wanda taps her pen to the tabletop with clear boredom. Sam spins around on a spinning chair.

"...And that's how we're going to budget next month." Tony finishes with a grunt. "There. We're finally done with this meeting." Everyone perks up a bit at the amazing announcement. "Any questions?"

"Yeah," the voice is strange and new. Everyone turns to see a young woman in a high ponytail and even higher heels standing steadily in the open doorway. "Where the hell is my welcoming committee?" Her head cocks to the side as a playful smirk traces her bright red lips.

Tony Stark laughs lightly. "Sorry about that. Budget cuts. If you'd been on time, you would've known that."

Everyone's confused—but not nearly as much as Steve, who sits wide-eyed and flabbergasted.

"Sorry. I ran into some trouble."

"Anything I should worry about?" Tony shuffles around some papers as he stays standing there in front of the electronic board.

The woman shakes her head. "Nope." She grins at Steve. "Hey blondie."

Steve seems to have gone mute.

"You've met?" Tony questions. He's raised a skeptical eyebrow.

"No," Steve manages just as the woman answers, "Briefly."

Tony looks between the two of them with a tired face. "Well, ignoring that, I'm going to go ahead and introduce the newest member of our team and my cousin: Y/N."

The bad-ass, beautiful young woman's smile takes Steve's breath away. "Thanks, cos. I'm happy to be here." Eyes staring straight into Steve's soul, she finishes with: "It's gonna be a hell of a ride."