t h i r t y - n i n e

Unedited.

Lisa Point of View:

I called in sick for today. I'm too anxious and scared knowing that I'll be in Des hands anytime soon. It scares me to hell, that I can't even rise from my bed. My life right now is like a living nightmare.

As a slave I couldn't actually just call in sick but I gathered a few leverage since Dorothy became my friend. I requested to meet Esme today since she has been avoiding me for quite a long time for some reason unknown to me and I badly need some company or else I'll go crazy just thinking about my dreadful future.

Esme will be here anytime soon and just in time my door opens revealing my brunette friend.

"Esme.." Tears well in my eyes just seeing my friend who has been by my ally ever since I arrived here in the mansion.

"Dorothy told me you're sick." She tells me, her voice has a subtle tone of indifference. I pretend not to notice it as she walks towards me, her eyes studying me. I suddenly feel awkward making me hug my knees to my chest as I wait for her next words.

"Is there something wrong Lisa?" She asks me and I sigh in relief to finally see sincerity glazing over her brown eyes. She sits by my side, her hands holding mine. A lump suddenly forms in my throat.

"I'm scared Esme.." I admit, and like a dam opening, I begin to tell her everything. Esme listened to me attentively as I pour out all my pain and problems. She gasps when I told her about Des.

"Don't worry, I think the Don will find a way. He's been doing that ever since you came here." She assures me but then something is again off in her tune.

"Esme, is there something wrong?" Her eyes widen as she shakes her head in denial.

"Nothing." She says in a clipped tone, my brows furrowing in confusion and worry.

"Did I do something wrong? It's clear that something is bothering you. You've been avoiding me too recently." I whisper, hurt laced in my tone. Esme shakes her head and drops her gaze to her hands.

"You won't understand." She sighs. This prompt me to reach her hand as I encourage her to share to me what's bothering her. As a friend, it's my turn to offer my help to her in anyways possible.

"Try me." She stares at me skeptically and seeing that I'm dead serious, her hardened face slowly crumbles to vulnerabiltiy. Her eyes start to water causing me to panic.

"Ever since you came, he didn't notice me anymore.." She tells me, her chin quivering. A sharp breath is emitted from my dreadful anticipation.

What? Oh god.. Realization kicks in and dread floods all over my system.

"What do you mean..are you talking about me and the Don?" I ask her, hoping deep in my heart that my intuition is wrong. Her teary eyes hold my gaze and I feel like being glued to my place as I hear her next words.

"I've been in love with him for so long and I tried so much not to form any negative feelings towards you because you're my friend but I failed.." She confess and I feel like being kicked in the gut by her confession.

"That's why you were avoiding me? Because you hate me?" I ask her, my voice is laced with disappointment and hurt, tears begin to prick my eyes. Her eyes widen, shaking her head indignantly.

"I don't hate you Lisa..I just..I envy you." She explains in a small voice. My heart sink even lower down my stomach. Both of us are in the edge of crying now.

"How can you be envious of me? Can't you see what he did to me?!" I ask her in ragingly disbelief.

"You only see what you wanted to see.." She murmurs bitterly making me scoff angrily.