2.28 - Story of Alison Cullen

Playlist :
     Hold On - Chord Overstreet
(If you haven't heard this song, go listen to it right now! It's effing beautiful.)

Alison/Sapphire

     My heart was thudding in my chest, I had a doubt that I might get a cardiac arrest. Finally! I'm going to learn the truth. I sat on the couch at the far corner of the study and watched Ian pacing in front of me. I closed my eyes when the pain started to make its presence in my head. "Ian! Will you stop pacing? It's giving me a headache." I said and massaged my forehead.

"Are you alright? Do you want to rest?" He asked eagerly. I know he was trying to postpone this talk. "No! I want to listen to the truth. So start speaking, it's already past one!" I said whilst glancing at the watch on his wrist. Now that I notice, for a rich person, he only wears one watch. I remember seeing a set of different watches in his closet through the open door, but they were left untouched. I shook my head and brought my thoughts back to the present.

With a long sigh, Ian began "You know I can lie to you and maybe I should, but you have been through a lot and I think you deserve to know the truth. Even though after doing so, I'll lose you." He sighed again. Ian looked at me and began walking towards me, I tried to hold all my emotions inside me, at least until he finishes.

"No matter what, just remember that I-" Ian stopped mid-sentence. "You mean a lot to me." He continued, although I had a hunch that he wasn't going to say that but I let it slide. Ian walked towards the window and with his back facing me, he began telling me the truth.

"Alison and I, we were in the same school but I only knew her as Ashley's sister back then. Ashley!" Ian chuckled humourlessly. "I was so in love with her at that time, at least I thought I was but I never said that to her. I never had the courage to do so. Later my dad announced that we'll be moving to New York forever. So I dropped all the ideas of being with Ashley and moved away. Little did I know that it wasn't going to be the last time I will see her." He paused to breathe. I know from here the actual story begins. 

"After six years, I was ready to take dad's place as the CEO but dad proposed that if I'll marry the girl of his choice only then I'll be able to take over. Since I was a kid I dreamt of running the company on my terms, so I agreed and besides I never thought about marriage so I didn't have any vision of my future bride. I decided to go out for a vacation while my dad searched for me a bride. When I returned a month later dad said that he chose Nicholas Brown's daughter for me. At first, I was ecstatic because I thought he was talking about Ashley so I immediately said yes but when we went to meet the Browns I realized I was wrong. Dad wasn't talking about Ashley, he was talking about Alison. I never said anything that evening but when we returned home I had a huge fight with my dad. I told him I love Ashley and I want to marry her but my dad never liked her." He sighed

"I had no choice but to stand at the altar. I remember standing there and thinking about my decision. I was about to ruin two lives, most importantly Alison's. Although she was a stranger to me, I knew her to be a kind and good-hearted girl, I can't ruin her life. I was aware of the music being played announcing her arrival but I was too busy debating with myself. I was about to stop this marriage but at that moment my eyes landed on the most beautiful bride I've ever seen. I don't know if it was the setting sun, her dress or her beautiful brown eyes but I was tongue-tied. That was the first time I felt something for her, unnoticeably something, but something nevertheless. I just couldn't bring myself to stop the marriage and I said 'I do'."

"After that, I realized what a big mistake I did. Not marrying her but ruining her life. I did enough so I decided to tell her as soon as possible so she won't expect much from me but I never knew it will be the first night of our marriage. That night I wasn't able to sleep, I heard her cries but didn't make a move to comfort her because I knew it will do no good. I tried to avoid her for the next months but that was ruined when she showed up at the office. I figured being rude to her will make things easier, will prevent her from getting attached herself to me and get heartbroken when I divorce her, little did I know that I was wrong."