2.29 - Taking a Break

Playlist:
     Run - Leona Lewis

Alison/Sapphire

     "Mommy?" Ryker called me from the passenger seat and earned a hum as a reply from me. "When are we going to stay with Nate?" He asked. I had the urge to look away from the road and glance at him but it was my first time driving after I received my licence. I don't want any accidents on my very first ride without an instructor. Mostly I didn't want to look at him because I couldn't lie to him while looking into those blue eyes that remind me of my husband, ex-husband.

"Soon baby!" I replied and took a turn to the left. "Mommy?" This time Raine called me from the backseat. "Yes?" I asked while shifting the gear. "When are we going to see Ian uncle?" She asked, "I miss him." She mumbled later. "I miss him too." I thought and sighed.

"School's here!" I exclaimed in fake enthusiasm. Honestly, I had no idea when we were going to see him. Although it's almost been a month since I last saw or heard from him and I missed him a lot but still I can't bring myself to call him. Afterall I myself told him to not call.

I shook my head to get rid of the thoughts, I have more important things to worry about right now, like my job. I smiled brightly at my kids who waved enthusiastically by the school gate. "Bye!" They yelled. "Bye! Love you!" I yelled back and gave them an air kiss. As the kids disappeared I started the engine and began driving towards my workplace a.k.a the hotel.

Nervousness settled in my stomach as I was nearing the hotel. It's been almost three weeks since I last showed up to work. Although I informed them about my absence Chef Steven is not an easy going boss.

I sighed out loud and looked at the hotel once before entering it and walking towards the kitchen. I pulled on my chef coat and walked through the double doors. The hustle and bustle of the kitchen were same like always. Clank of utensils, people rushing around like a headless chicken was a normal site for us.

"Sapphire!" A familiar feminine voice called. My red-headed friend walked towards me with a huge smile on her face before hugging me. "How are you feeling now?" She asked. "I'm fine! How are you?" I asked as we pulled apart.

"I'm good." She answered. "Is Steven here?" I asked with a nervous look. Amanda opened her mouth to answer but was answered by a hoarse voice instead from behind me. "It's Chef Steven for you." I shut my eyes tightly and cursed under my breath before turning around slowly and looked back into his stern eyes.

"Welcome back!" He said sarcastically and crossed his arms over his chest and raised a brow. "Steve, behave!" Amanda hissed from behind me. I opened my mouth to explain but he hushed me up by raising his arm, palm facing me. "I don't care if you are related to the owner of this restaurant, when you enter this kitchen you are an ordinary employer and I'm your employee. Do you understand?" He asked. I had no option but to nod at him and so I did.

"Good, now bake me something out of the menu for chef's special. Only that can convince me." He said and dismissed me with a wave of his hand. I glanced at Amanda who looked at me with an apologetic smile. I gave her a smile and entered my kitchen. Compared to last time more staff was added and three chefs were already working on their counters.

"Looks like I have to introduce myself," I mumbled to myself and did so. Later I learnt that Steven promoted me to head patisserie chef and as a gratitude, I made a cherry dark chocolate cake, Steven's favourite and for the chef's special I made four types of macaroons. While making the strawberry cheesecake macaroons, a smile was etched on my face for it was Nathan's favourite. How I miss that little nugget! I hope he is fine after all Ian did promise me to keep him safe but then I'm currently having few trust issues.