11.2

I'm back. Had a major writer's block experience and let me tell you, it is not pretty. I almost threw this book away. But, it finally came together. This is a short chapter, but hang in for a plot twist. I'm glad y'all have been patient.

I was starting to realize this book wasn't as impactful as Soft, but I got it back on track. Also, Nia in the mm.

Excuse any mistakes.

LA
10:33 pm

"People start to see you when you start to see You."

Unknown

With her feet up on the wall and her body lying on the bed, Mara is on the phone with CJ, laughing and smiling majority of the time. They'd been on the phone for hours, losing track of time.

"What you doin'?" He asks in his now sleepy voice.

"Nothing, laying down now. I've finished my homework, ate and everything."

"Damn." He chuckles lowly. "We been on the phone for a minute."

"Yea." She suddenly thinks about Malachi, wondering what he was doing and why he hadn't called her.

"I ain't complainin' tho cause you probably kept a nigga outta trouble today."

She furrows her eyebrows, and briefly looks at the time. "Why you say that? You get in trouble often?"

"Yeah my moms be trippin'. I be hangin' with Truth and Trav all day, sometimes I stay out way past my curfew." He says.

"Sometimes huh?" She smirks.

CJ laughs. "Ok, most times."

A knock on Mara's door causes her to look in that direction. "Hold on, CJ." She says as Makayla walks into her room. Makayla looks at her weirdly, wondering who is CJ. Mara knew what that meant. "Well, let me call you back."

"Bet."

She hangs up and swings her legs over, sitting up. "Wassup?" She asks Makayla.

"Who is CJ?"

Mara sits her phone beside and sighs softly. "Um, a guy I met not too long ago."

Figuring that she's about to get some tea, Makayla takes the chair at Mara's desk and pulls it up to the bed. "What happened with Malachi?"

"We're still together." Mara quickly says, but frowns a little bit. "I guess."

"Uh oh. That doesn't sound good." Makayla shakes her head. "What's going on?"

Mara fingers the curls in her hair, getting ready to take advantage of the vent session with her mom. "Well, I think he's cheating on me but I don't have actual proof. Today, I wanted to find out for myself and ask the girl, who I assume he's cheating on me with, is anything going on with them."

"Hm, I don't recommend that you do that in the future but continue." Makayla adds.

"Why not?" Mara looks at Makayla.