31. BUCKY: You and Me

Words: 3.8K

Warnings: Language

"Bucky... Bucky, no! You can't go that way: it's too dangerous," Steve's anxiously trying to warn his friend from your other side.

"He's right," you pipe up and Bucky glances at you momentarily. "You'll be dead before either of us can save you. And honestly, you kinda deserve it after that stunt you pulled earlier when you fucking shot me in the head."

Bucky throws his hands up in argument—his game console controller going up with his metal arm. "I told you I was sorry! I thought you were a Nazi." His raspberry pink lips take on the shape of an adorable pout.

You gawk at the man sitting next to you in his blue beanbag chair. Yours is yellow, Steve's is... well, it's pink. It's the only other color at the store, and you refused to take it.

"You thought I was a Nazi? Buck, my character's been wearing the same goddamn costume for three weeks now. How could you mix me up?"

Steve slurps on his iced macchiato that Nat picked up for him at Starbucks. Between slurps he says, "That's a lie. He just wanted payback for you taking the last bagel out of the pantry."

With a gasp you turn towards Bucky. "I told you that wasn't me! I don't even like cinnamon raisin!"

Steve's paused the game with a chuckle. He watches with big, amused blue eyes as his best friend Bucky flirtatiously bickers with the lovable, quirky girl Steve's known for almost five years now. Bucky's known you for nearly two. The three of you have become very close. You hardly do anything without the others.

"That's a lie and you know it. I see you eat Raisin Bran all the time."

"There's no cinnamon in Raisin Bran. That's why I like it. Cinnamon and raisins don't go together," you roll your eyes at his stupidity.

Bucky shoves your shoulder. "Bullshit. It's delicious."

You shove him back, trying hard not to laugh. "It's disgusting."

"You're disgusting," Bucky teases.

You stick your tongue out at him. After smiling wide, the skin near his denim colored eyes wrinkling, he sticks his tongue out back.

"Can we please just finish this level? I told Tony I'd meet him in the lab at four."

"Oh shit, what time is it now?" Bucky suddenly sounds panicked. He starts turning around to find the nearest clock. You don't think there's one in here: it's easier to spend hours playing stupid games when there's no real way to realize how much time you're wasting.

"What's stressing you out, Sarge? Gotta fancy date or something?" you tease Bucky with a snigger. You curl back under the blanket that you two share.

"Well, uh, actually..." his tone is already making you panicked. Wide eyed you turn your face away from the brightly lit TV screen. Bucky scratches the back of his neck with the nonmetal hand. "I do."

Steve chokes on his coffee. "You what?"

"WHAT?" you sputter at the same moment as Steve.

Bucky's nicely shaven cheeks are growing pink. You should've known there was a reason why he shaved. He never does it anymore without bribing from your part. Chuckling awkwardly, Bucky sets down his remote. "I said I've got a date."

"Who the bloody hell with?" you don't mean to sound so... so angry, but you're not good at hiding your emotions very well.

Bucky shrugs as if he doesn't know. But then he says, "A woman from T'Challa's compound. She's here for a few months and wants to go out to dinner."