Chapter Twenty-Five

Korra's POV

A small cloud of fog escaped from my lips as I breathed out. Autumn was coming to an end and winter was just around the corner. I stepped out of my house and was immediately met with the chilly air. I fixed my scarf and buried my mouth inside it, slightly shivering in the process.

I jumped into the taxi, and we headed out to the city towards the courthouse. Today's the second day of my father's trial and I was getting anxious. After I had gone out of the room with Asami, as I came in, my mother almost immediately intervened. She practically pulled me into a corner and gave me a lecture of answering the questions more clearly. But I knew she wanted me to speak in a way that would make my father look guilty to the jury.

I got into the taxi that I called 15 minutes earlier to take me to the court, I would've met up with Asami on the way, but she told me she would meet me there. Even though this situation has become increasingly more difficult to handle, I knew that I could get through it, with the help of Asami.

As I thought about her, I couldn't help but smile, no matter how bleak everything else was.

Arriving 10 minutes earlier than expected, I shrugged through people to get inside the courthouse. Several reporters had already crowded around the entrance conversing around themselves. Once they noticed me, they immediately blocked my way, pointing their cameras and microphones to my face. I buried my face deeper in my scarf and lowered my head, trying to avoid the flashes that might damage my already sleepless eyes. With the help of a few security personnel, I managed to get inside somewhat peacefully.

Once inside, I was greeted by the glares of a selected yet many people, whispering in the process. My lawyer, or better yet, my mother's lawyer was already seated on his place in front of the courtroom, rummaging for something in his bag. Once I was near enough, he raised his head and looked at me, then immediately lowered his eyes. I guess I wasn't even worth looking at to him.

The sound of desperate reporters flooded in as the doors opened. It was my mother. She was wearing her trademark of black sunglasses, paired with a large hat. She strutted across the thin hallway and when she noticed me in front of her, she stopped in her tracks briefly and let out a disappointed sigh, as if she's had enough of seeing me around. I would've moved out of her way if only my legs could do the same. 

"Korra," She spoke with the usual cold tone. 

"Mother," I responded.

 I was about to say something to try and break her wall but was interrupted by the sound of the door opening again revealing the person I adore the most. Asami walked in, sporting a casual outfit of skinny jeans and an oversized jumper. She looked adorable despite looking like a burrito. A  very cute burrito, in fact.

Once she saw me, her lips spread into a wide smile, causing her eyes to squint in the most endearing way that I never knew was even possible. But once she saw my mother, her smile disappeared and replaced by a look of resentment. If I didn't know any better, I would've disregarded it there and then, but I knew Asami, and she wouldn't just look at someone, with such hostility. But the look disappeared quickly as she approached. From the corner of my eye, I saw my mother let out a big sigh, before turning on her heels and taking a seat.

Asami continued to walk over to me. She then took my hand in hers and held them tightly, making my chest pound and butterflies to float around in my stomach. She looked into my eyes, intensively, searching for something, though I didn't know what. She opened her mouth slightly to say something, but instead, she simply smiled warmly, before taking me to my seat, then taking hers.

The next 20 minutes then consisted of the judge entering the room, with the usual formalities. Then the jury stepped in line to their seats on their stand. The audience was told to stand and sit again and so on.