Chapter One: Aggressive Withdrawl

It was the end of a fine bronze-tinted afternoon with purple shadows and febrile scraps of cloud now exiting the sky

It was the end of a fine bronze-tinted afternoon with purple shadows and febrile scraps of cloud now exiting the sky. The crowd that Camille had found herself stuck in flowed down the wide avenue, the mood of each person swirling in unseen currents beneath the dark surface of their faces. Within a thousand individuals there wasn't a single smile or expression of doubt. The only sound was their feet on the aging concrete and the howl of the wind rising above them.

The satchel of books hanging at Camille's side swung almost painfully against her thigh. With every collision she could feel a small bruise beginning to rise against her skin. At times, she would take a step too quickly or forcefully in an attempt to lift it beneath the weight of the satchel, and it would hit the person next to her. In such a large cluster of people they were usually gone before Camille could even turn her head to apologise.

She was relieved when she was finally able to exit the bustling heap of sweat. It was always especially awkward for Camille when she was surrounded because they usually towered over her. She felt like she was seconds away from being trampled.

Camille took in a deep breath of fresh air and searched the immediate vicinity. It didn't take long to spot who she was looking for. Amelia, Camille's friend, stood with a hip jutted to one side, her right arm draped across her slender body, clasping the elbow opposite. Her head lolled down to one shoulder casting her bobbed hair onto the faded Prince t-shirt that was two sizes too big. It hung so low that her shorts only just peeked below the dirty hem, a fringe of denim cut-offs.

Her static eyes had picked a patch of the walkway with nothing to distinguish it from any other patch, it had the same cracks, the same weeds, the same grime. A car back-fired a street over, renting the air as good as any gun-shot, but instead of startling she stayed just as she was. It was only when Camille called out to her that she finally re-entered the waking world.

"What took you so long?" Amelia said, a smile finally inching onto her face.

"Sorry, class got kept in." Camille replied with an apologetic tone. She had expected to be late though, which is why she had told Amelia to meet her at three in the afternoon. Amelia, as usual, showed up half an hour early and it made Camille wonder why she had bothered changing the time at all.

"Right... studying." The blonde shivered. "Gross."

The two began walking along the most vacant path they could find, occasionally shifting behind one another to make room for passersby.

"So I guess you aren't willing to trade spots with me then?" She teased. "You could take next weeks exam for me if you're feeling especially eager."

"Only if you want to fail." Amelia chuckled, hands digging into her pockets. "You're the one that chose to go, I told you it would suck."