nine: yes, ned

"Have you seen the news?" Ned asks as I sit down in art.

"Yes, Ned."

"Did you see everything on the news? From last night?" He asks.

"Yes, Ned."

"My mom was freaking out. Did you see the pictures of the Spider-Woman and the Spider-Man?!" He exclaims the last part.

"Yes, Ned." I sigh, looking up as more people file into the classroom. Julie Briggs passes me, offering me a sweet smile. I return it as she walks back to her seat.

"You have to be more excited. Those pictures are so iconic," He says.

"What pictures?"

He gives me his classic 'really' look.

"The pictures on the news. I just asked you if you had seen them and you replied with 'Yes, Ned.'" He says flatly.

"Oh, no. I didn't." I reply, opening my sketchbook for art. Next thing I know, Ned is holding his phone in front of my face. I slowly take it out of his hands, staring at the screen blankly. Somebody got a perfect, clear shot of the Spider-Man and I in front of the police cars. We're both looking up at what seems like the camera, which, in reality, it was the cars. The red and blue lights are shining on us, and I'm hovering over the Spider-Man on the ground.

"Swipe over." Ned says excitedly. I slowly slide my finger across the screen. Next, another perfect, clear picture pops up, and this time the Spider-Man is clutching my hand as I help him up. Again, the police lights are shining at us, making my white suit look like a faded reddish blue.

How in the world did they get these? Did they have a photographer or something? This is unbelievable!

"How did..." I start.

"Want me to send them to you?" He asks.

"...sure, I guess." I say slowly, watching Miss Bostra close the door and start to take roll. I sigh and sit back in my chair, resting my head in my hand as Miss Bostra starts calling names.

~~~

"And then, she totally saved the Spider-Man and kicked the guy's ass!" Ned exclaims.

"You're a nerd." MJ says.

"Ned, I don't think that's how it went." Peter says.

"She definitely didn't kick Avalanche's ass, that's for sure." I mutter.

"What?" The three of them say in unison.

"Nothing," I say with a sigh as the bell rings. The four of us get up and throw away whatever trash we had, then we continue on to class. I step up to my locker and enter the combination before opening it, grabbing my binder and books for my next class. I shut my locker and turn around, only to stand face to face with Flash Thompson.

"So," he smirks. "About our project...?"

"Yeah, um, are you ever going to help me with that?" I ask, shouldering past him.

"C'mon, you can't be that mad at me." He calls, catching up with me. I keep my fast pace as I continue to talk.

"Actually, I can. You promised you would help with this damn project and so far, you haven't. Also, not to mention the fact that you practically bully my best friend every day." I snap.

"Who, Parker?" He asks with a grin.

"Who else?" I ask, turning a corner.

"How do you tolerate that kid?" He asks.