13 - Silver Moon

"Don't ever run from me again, Victoria." Lucian's words were soft-spoken and quiet, but his eyes told a completely different story. It scared me to see so much control. Desire. Lust. I was terrified of being stuck in this relationship, no matter how much he spoils me. What if things changed? What if Lucian became not only controlling, but abusive as well? The littlest things could tick him over, and I was frightened of the temper he had. This wasn't what, dare I say it, love is supposed to be. But maybe Lucian had a completely different definition of what it was.  

But I refused to be controlled.

I was not a piece of property.

"Abusive mutt.'' I muttered under my breath. It didn't go unheard by Lucian. He merely pursed his lips at my angry tone and walked closer, to which I responded by moving away. Any other person would have simply been embarrassed or stopping moving closer, but then again, Lucian wasn't just anyone. Hell, he wasn't even human. Lucian rested the inside of his palm on my leg. It was shockingly warm, like the top of a stove.

I pushed him away.

Lucian let out a soft growl. "I don't understand why you are angry with me, love. It should be the other way around." he pointed out. "You threw a party in my house. Without my consent. Unbelievable, Victori-"

"Wow." I stood up, anger running through me. Flora stifled in Lucian's arms. I could only imagine how warm she must have been. Lucian stood up and my temper burned down just the slightest. It was true I would have to control what left my mouth. The wrong words could get me into some hell of a trouble. Maybe that was a good thing.

"You're one to talk about consent." I clenched my teeth and spat the words out with as much venom as I could muster. "Did I give you consent to bring me here? Did I allow you to rip my sister and I from our lives? Did I give you permission to touch me, ever? You can't just do stuff like this without consent, Lucian. I threw a party, sue me. You took away my entire life. Don't you dare use that word. Consent, what a hypocrite. What's next, hmm? Next time I step out of line, what will you do? What will the big, bad wolf-"

Vaughn suddenly stepped into the kitchen, making the words freeze on my tongue. Lucian's silence only ruffled the rage I was feeling. Vaughn cleared his throat awkwardly. No doubt he could feel the sticky tension rising in the air.

"Miss Checke, the time you assigned to me for Flora Checke's bedtime has arrived. If you will allow me to do you, I can accompany your little sister to her room and make sure she falls asleep without any concern." Vaughn said like a true professional. I had to resist from rolling my eyes. Did they always have to be so stiff? 

"Thank you, Vaughn." Lucian bristled when I addressed Vaughn. Possessive much? For Pete's sake. "But that won't be necessary. I can do it myself." Lucian's eyes were a steely grey as I walked over to him to take Flora. He gently pushed Flora into my arms but never let his gaze move from my face. 

"Miss, will you be okay finding your-"

"Vaughn, you are dismissed." Lucian growled, cutting off Vaughn's offer. It was unbelievable how jealous Lucian could get over such minor things. A dark cloud passed over me briefly as the thoughts of him getting abusive in the future flashed through me. Would I end up as one of those helpless victims, justifying my abuser's actions in court with saying I deserved it?

I pushed past the two men and escaped to the hallway, but my relief was short-lived. Not a moment too soon, the kitchen doors slammed against each other as Lucian followed after me. Holding Flora comfortably in my arms, I walked up the stairs. Lucian nor I broke the silence until Flora was tucked into my bed.