Sacrifice

He was delusional. "What?" I had heard him wrong. Surely, he'd meant to say now that we were more like buddies. Though, I couldn't even imagine how killing me, despite his denial, and then saving me, even if it fell short of turning me into a vampire, initiated a best buddy relationship.

He kept pacing in front of me, my head was hurting from all the restlessness pouring into his strides. I was seeing a blur of motions. My eyesight seemed to be on a circular train ride, bumpy, and fast. I wanted to still him. He was going to set the floor on fire with all this pacing.

"What?" he snapped as if he was the one with the questions.

"No, we have not suddenly become mated, dude! It's not how it works, you know?" What gibberish. "Do you even know the meaning of the word?" If he didn't misuse the word, he was so much in trouble, the fires of Hell wouldn't save him.

"Yes, I know what it means. I just completed the sacrifice, didn't I?"

His words gave me a pause. "What sacrifice?" Me on the floor, bloodied and almost dead fit perfectly with the idea of a sacrifice. Had I been part of a satanic ritual? Was he worshipping the Devil? I had formed more benign opinions of vampires in my last stay, but now I wasn't so sure anymore. What did I know? I got up, both to end the misery my eyes suffered and to clarify things a bit. Well, anger was boiling inside me, and I needed an outlet to unleash it. I realized the changes in my eyesight made it much easier to walk. As I approached him, the lines outlining his figure became sharper. The target was in sight. It was time to attack.

"I asked, what sacrifice?" I said, clutching his shirt aggressively. That had stopped him.

"The blood sacrifice to save your life. What else?" he said.

Oh, the pompous ass had a twisted understanding of sacrifice. "Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for receiving the holy liquid from you. I'm simply in awe that you sacrificed a few drops of your blood to save my worthless life! What did I do to deserve that?" His words were really riling me up.

"A few drops? Your worthless life? Woman, you were brought to Earth to be my destruction!"

I tried to shake him, but his bulky figure didn't move. "I refuse to be your mate!"

"It is not a matter of your choice. Do you think I wanted this? It is already done." His voice was bitter as if he'd eaten vile food and he couldn't get rid of the taste.

Him acting the victim was driving me nuts. I'd almost died. I'd almost become a vampire. Not to mention my cane was still missing. I was yet to decide whether the disturbing changes in my eyesight was better than previous darkness. I hated this place.

"Undo it!"

"I declared to the Moon Goddess that you were mine. What part of it don't you understand? Saved you with my blood. We are not to save humans. And, I'm the King, what was I thinking? Well, I wasn't," he laughed. I didn't like that laughter. It was cold, brief, sarcastic, ending as quickly as it started. "I did the utmost declaration. It even takes precedence over destiny. Thankfully you don't have to worry about that. Destiny has left me without a mate. And, now I'm stuck with you."

"You're not stuck with me. Those may be your traditions, but they're not mine. When I marry someone, I will know! I will not be told that I just mated, without my consent." A red haze surrounded his head. I pushed my hand through it. My hand felt the frigidness like patches of cold air wave underneath the sea. "What are you doing?" he asked, flinching and the red around him got redder and darker. It was like the browning red of old blood.