XIV

I'M SORRY THIS HAS TAKEN SO LONG
SO MUCH SHIT HAS GONE DOWN
AND LIFE IS BUSY
BUT IF YOU'RE STILL HERE
ILY 

*UNEDITED*

*****

to hate
Is an easy lazy thing
but to love
takes strength
everyone has
but not all are
willing to practice
- Rupi Kaur, The Sun and her Flowers

*****

Brinley's eyes landed on Monty first.

'How did you...?"

Brinley's words trailed off as she noticed the stern look on Monty's face, and the look of worry that seemed to have momentarily overcome Octavia.

'Octavia-'

'What happened?' Bellamy's rough voice sounded behind Brinley, making her shoulders tense up for a second. In the small window of time since she'd walked away from Bellamy, Jasper had joined them, a look of concern for Monty on his face for the first time in what Brinley felt like was forever.

Octavia glanced between the trio facing her hesitantly. It wasn't likely that Monty would relay what had happened at the dropship site on his own, and Octavia felt that if someone else knew, they'd have a better chance at successfully keeping an eye on Monty.

'Monty's Mum found us...she was chipped.'

Brinley shook her head. 'Oh no.' She sighed. 'Did you lose her?'

Octavia hesitated.

'O?' Bellamy pressed after a few short moments of tensed silence.

'Yeah, we lost her.' Octavia seemed unhappy at having to speak to Bellamy. 'She's dead.'

'You killed Monty's Mum?" Jasper spoke up for the first time, eyes narrowed as he gazed at Octavia.

'No. I didn't.' Octavia pressed her lips together in a thin line as she waited for her words to sink in.

'Oh my god. Did Monty-'

Octavia gave a short, sharp nod to Brinley's question.

There was a tense moment of silence between the four as they took in the information. Brinley was the first to shake herself out of her shocked state.

'We have to get back inside. No one says a word to Monty.' Brinley's voice was firm.

'I know Monty better than any of you. You don't get to tell me what to-'

'Jasper, do not say anything to Monty. He'll talk when he's ready, okay?' Brinley pressed again.

Jasper sighed, but said nothing more.

*****

Brinley's head was still buzzing.

They'd successfully removed A.L.I.E from Raven's head, but even after Clarke had explained what she knew about the A.I's to the group, Brinley was having trouble believing that it was true.

The group had quickly decided to make their way back to Arkadia. Brinley had climbed into the front of the Rover, assuming that Monty would be the one driving. Despite her warning to Jasper, she wanted to make sure her younger friend was coping as best he could.

But Monty wasn't the one driving. Instead, Bellamy had climbed into the front seat, his gaze lingering on Brinley for longer than would be considered polite. Brinley had immediately contemplated switching seats with Clarke, but the blonde was already immersed in conversation with Raven about the A.I's and A.L.I.E's plans and knowledge.

Brinley rest her head against the cool glass window of the rover, eyes drooping in exhaustion. They'd been driving for awhile now, as their surroundings became progressively lighter the further they drove.