Chapter 15

Kyle

Early on Thursday morning me, Tyler and Ryder stood around the lockers, pointing out any good looking chicks as Tyler complained about what Jaise had done to him. Apparently they fought over something quite minor, but Jaise lost it anyway and ended up slapping Tyler across the face. The only thing I found weird about the whole story was that Tyler refused to tell either me or Ryder what the argument was even about.

I attempted to listen in on Ryder pleading Tyler to tell us what the argument was about, but that was proven to be a rather difficult task the moment Jameson walked through the doors with a black eye and his bottom lip busted open again. It had to have been the third time this month now.

My stomach tightened as he got closer, his eyes sunken to the ground as he never even noticed me. Reminders that I once played a part in Ryder giving him a busted lip and bruised up eye flooded my memory, and it stung more than I could remember. The dreaded feeling of the guilt returning filled my mind, and I felt sick thinking of the possibility that I might never get over that God-awful day where I hit the boy I'm very much attracted too. All because I was too stupid and selfish to admit that I actually liked somebody the same gender as myself.

"I'll catch up with you later." I muttered, neither Tyler nor Ryder really paying attention to my dismissal to the conversation. I followed in my best attempt of being discreet behind Jameson who slumped sadly through the halls. Nobody really gave a second glance, but I didn't really care if they did. Everyone here knows what I'm capable of if they have an issue with something I do.

Finally, when I could make a move, I grabbed his forearm from behind, dragging him into a nearby empty classroom. His pupils were wide with shock before he noticed who it actually was who had pulled him from the halls.

"Uh, hi Kyle." He said with no enthusiasm whatsoever. I frowned, watching as the boy stared hopelessly at the ground as though it was the most interesting thing to exist.

Licking over my lips, I took a step towards him which he reacted to by taking a step back. I didn't bother playing games with him. "Hi? That's it?" I asked, trying to study the cuts and bruises upon his face in more depth, which was proven rather difficult seeing as he continued to keep his chin buried in his chest.

I reached out to place my fingers under his chin, but he flinched away with flickering eyes as if he thought that I'd do something else. "Jamie..." I said lowly, frowning deeper seeing him react in such a way.

"I don't want to talk about it." He muttered, folding his arms across his chest. "It's not like anyone gives a shit anyway." My stomach felt funny at the last bit, because that's where his words were wrong. I knew Jamie didn't have many friends, and that bothered me, but not as much as him saying that nobody cared about his health.

"That's not true. I care, a damn lot to be honest." I said, cursing mentally at myself for being such a sappy person once again. What can I say? I can't seem to help myself but say the mushy movie-type shit when it comes to Jameson. I feel like I need to get the words from my chest. And I was still getting used to this whole being honest thing. Because I knew that Jamie was a non-judgemental and I was thankful for that.

Jameson swallowed, a slight blush creeping its way onto his features. "Nothing happened." He said stubbornly, pulling his arms further into his chest.

"Liar." I breathed, wrapping my arms around his small frame. I felt his tenseness soften a few seconds into the hug, and he eventually untangled his folded arms from his chest to wrap around my waist, rather low compared to usual. I oddly didn't mind though.

"It doesn't matter." He whispered into my chest, just audible enough for me to hear clearly.

He was trying so hard not to drag me into his obvious problems, and I didn't like it. But for that moment in time, I let it go. "Okay." I said simply, squeezing him tighter against me.