And the Sun will set for You

I close both locks below the window.
I close both blinds and turn away.
Sometimes solutions aren't so simple.
Sometimes goodbye's the only way...

And the sun will set for you.
The sun will set for you.
And the shadow of the day
Will embrace the world in gray.
And the sun will set for you.

In cards and flowers on your window.
Your friends all plead for you to stay.
Sometimes beginnings aren't so simple.
Sometimes goodbye's the only way...

— Shadow of the Day by Linkin Park

~oOo~

The week flew by in a whirl of overeager holiday cheer and far too much smuggled firewhisky and mulled mead. The Eighth Year Common Room had been turned into a raucous pub almost every night. Although Harry and Draco joined in on the festivities, they kept well enough apart, sticking close to their fake girlfriends. Most nights, Harry got himself so drunk that Draco had to literally drag him off to bed. It was a blessing in disguise as it made it easier for Draco to put some distance between them. Saying no to sex was much easier when Harry was far too pissed to start anything.

The holiday buzz that engulfed Hogwarts had only gotten worse as the week drew to a close. That Friday was the Yule Ball—the biggest event Hogwarts had ever hosted since that fateful Triwizard Tournament four years prior. The students were practically vibrating with excitement. Even Harry seemed a bit affected by it all. It was a relief to see so much happiness in the castle that had been filled with so much sadness and death mere months before.

The only thing that was putting a damper on Harry's holiday spirit was Draco. The blond had become increasingly withdrawn. Every time Harry tried to find out what was wrong, Draco would clam up and escape to the Common Room. It was driving Harry spare. Harry had initially thought it had something to do with Narcissa's situation or perhaps Lucius' death had greatly affected Draco more than he let on. But as the days passed, Harry couldn't shake the feeling that it was something else entirely. Draco had begun to shut Harry out. It was something that had never happened before, no matter how bad things got.

Even now as Harry lounged on his bed and watched Draco pack his trunk, he could sense the tension radiating from Draco. The blond was like a tightly wound spring. A mere touch would be enough to violently unravel him. They were in the same room but Harry felt as though there was a wall diving the two of them. Harry frowned, tamping down on the horrifying sense of foreboding that suddenly washed over him.

"So, you're taking Astoria to the Ball tomorrow?" Harry fiddled with his wand, sending random sparks into the air. "And why are you packing everything? It's just the holidays, you know. You're acting like you're never coming back." Harry teased, searching Draco's face.

Draco momentarily froze but quickly recovered his composure. He arched an eyebrow at Harry. "Yes, I'm accompanying Astoria to the Ball tomorrow." It was a lie. Draco was leaving first thing in the morning. His friends already knew. Everything was already in place. He was leaving Harry in capable hands. Harry had survived Voldemort; losing Draco would be nothing compared to what Harry had already been through.