Wattpad Original
There are 11 more free parts

2. Ladies who lunch

Olivia and Josephine were having lunch on the large second-floor terrace, overlooking the beautiful stained glass dome of the small and historic St. Aquinas Church, which was connected to the school's main building. The landmark was otherwise concealed from view by the newer and taller adjoining school buildings surrounding it.

The terrace was full of chatting students in uniforms. Girls in pleated skirts, and boys wearing striped ties in the school colors, enjoyed the sun while sitting at the many round limestone tables and benches scattered about an old three-tier Roman fountain.

Josephine, a tall skinny girl with wide hips and long features, was the only one at school whom Olivia really talked to. And in that sense, she thought of her as a friend. But if she had to be completely honest, they didn't have much in common, and therefore rarely saw each other outside of school.

They were discussing a book from their summer reading list when Roxie came over and sat down at their table as if it was an everyday occurrence. This was not the case. During the week, Olivia had mostly seen Roxie hanging around with a group of girls everyone referred to as the Fashionistas because all they ever talked about was fashion and their next 'must-have' items.

Both Olivia and Josephine stopped their conversation and looked at Roxie with mild surprise.

"Hi." Roxie smiled at them, not taking any notice of their stunned silence, and opened a bottle of water. "The Amelias told me I needed to speak with you if I want to be on the Social Committee because you're Student Body President?" She looked at Josephine, taking a drink.

The majority of the school's students had been surprised when Josephine was named President over Claire Chang, a competitive overachiever who had started the rumor that Josephine only got elected because her father was a teacher at the school. Chang was probably right, but Olivia would never admit so much to Josephine.

"Oh, yes. Right." Josephine nodded, pushing her long braided ponytail of ash-brown hair behind her shoulder.

"I would like to get involved with any school events that come up," Roxie explained further, grabbing the fork for her mixed salad.

"Do you have any experience?" Josephine spoke with a slight lisp and looked at Roxie with probing gray eyes.

"Sure." Roxie nodded, chewing an olive. "I used to be on the Social Committee at one of my former schools, and I've done some other council work too." She pulled something from her messenger bag. "I've made a portfolio of my previous work." She handed over a black dossier.

"Oh." Josephine took the file with mild surprise, pleased all the same. "It seems you're serious about this." An approving smile graced her thin lips while she quickly looked through the papers. "I need to take it up with the council, of course, but I'm sure we can find you a position. We do need someone to handle ticket sales for the First Dance."

"I'll do that," Roxie volunteered without missing a beat. "So, are you two coming to the party at Claudia Banks'?" She looked at Olivia to include her in the conversation. "As I understand it, it's usually worth going."

That was a subtle way of putting it since it was all everyone at the school was currently talking about.

Every year, on the first weekend after the summer break, the Banks cousins held a party for only an exclusive group of students considered part of the in-crowd. It had been started by Claudia's and Rebecca's older brothers when they went to St. Aquinas themselves. And even though a lot of the students claimed it was stupid, most of them secretly hoped for an invitation. But just because you got invited one year didn't guarantee you a spot the following. If you didn't live up to certain criteria, you were out.