『 one: PRETTY ENOUGH. 』

『 CHAPTER i: pretty enough !  』

CHAPTER i: pretty enough !

           SEVEN-FIFTEEN IN THE MORNING, & June Swan was already all dressed up for another day of another month of another year she was going through

SEVEN-FIFTEEN IN THE MORNING, & June Swan was already all dressed up for another day of another month of another year she was going through. But luckily, it wasn't like she had to think about her outfit much anyway — the navy blue and gold cheer outfit had seen many Friday's since its wearer had joined the squad ( or had been forced into joining but that's neither here nor there ) in the beginning of her sophomore year. June takes one last chance look in the mirror, pretty enough, she tells herself and adjusts her dirty blonde hair in a more snug position so that the massive cheer bow in her hair doesn't shift position throughout the day. It most likely will, but the assurance that she tried satisfies her enough. She stares a tad longer in the mirror this time, she had been doing the same thing for a while now.

            June sees the same thing she always does: blue eyes a little too blue to be considered just another pair of blue eyes, dirty blonde hair she inherited from her dads's mother, Helen, and the skin pale enough to be a citizen of Forks but also holding the deep olive tone to be reminded everyone that her mother was from the Reservation of La Push. She liked looking into the mirror and looking at the same reflection because it could very well be the last time she looked at herself. Or so she so melodramatically reasoned in her very fuzzy, and very morbid, brain.

Dial time back to when little June was littler June, aged eight to be exact, and her mom's mom, her grandma Iris, had pulled her into her magic room ( which June now knew was just where her kookie grandmother stored her cultural mementos and potions and oils and whatnot ) and sat her down before she told her with a tearful face, June-Bug? You must live life as you can, for it'll end sooner than most peoples do ... you'll die so beautiful looking I've seen it ... you'll die with your heart in your hand, and when you close your eyes you'll only ever open them again when the moon is full on a sunny day and the stone people scatter the grounds of the meadow and sparkle like diamonds in the dirt. June hadn't known what the hell her grandmother was talking about; only that her mom, Daphne, had got June from the room and rubbed her back softly as she cried, telling her mom, I don't want to die, mommy. June can't remember Daphne ever yelling at anyone, but she yelled at her grandmother Iris that day. Daphne then packed two suitcases full of of their clothes and left June with her dad, Charlie, while she took off without another word. Daphne eventually came back after a week or two with a ( much younger ) boyfriend from Portland and a shoulder tattoo and breath smelling of alcohol.