『 two: BELLFLOWERS 』

『 chapter ii: BELLFLOWERS

chapter ii: BELLFLOWERS.   』

SOMETIMES, JUNE WISHED SHE LIVED IN the old days

SOMETIMES, JUNE WISHED SHE LIVED IN the old days. The days that she hears the senior citizens talks about as they sit on the island of the diner with their coffee mugs held up to their lips, looking around them and shaking their head at what they see. They don't recognize the pricing of things now, they remember the good old days were your parents would give you twenty-five cents and you could go to the movies and buy your ticket, popcorn, and drink and pay for your significant other and still have ten cents left over. They remember the smooth jazz of Nina Simone's silken voice coming from car stereos and the good rock of the Doors and the eccentric pop legend that is David Bowie. Where you could leave your doors unlocked and you didn't have to be scared that anyone would break in or harm you. The elders looked at the news and saw a story of a murder or a armed robbery and muttered under their breath, times are changing. June wishes she could relate to that. She wishes she lived then, not now. Not when death wasn't as celebrated, when funerals were more sadder and laments were given and sad songs played out. June wanted her life to be celebrated. She didn't trudge through all these years to get a she was a nice girl, said at her funeral. She was sad, more pitiful than sad, to know that she wouldn't have time to have that special someone who could say the most beautiful things about her.

                   It was one of the many that sucks related subjects June felt she had to deal with before she died; working at the Sully's Diner, she saw hectic mothers coming in with their children shouting out orders as she tried to tame the munchkins. June pitied herself to know she would never get to be one of those women. The only child she'd ever have, was her chocolate-colored Labrador named Patrick Verona that her grandmother Iris had on the Reservation where she lived. June would never otherwise get to look down inside a crib or a baby carriage and see a small person blink up at her with irises the same shade as her own. Secretly, in an alternate universe where she was gonna die, she had always wanted to have sons named Charlie and Sam and Phillip and make them the most suave of gentlemen, mending hearts instead of breaking them.