22 - The Journey

"For the hundredth time, leave me alone."

All eyes snapped at Ryan, who was yelling at a small child. Damn, even Alex was not able to irritate Ryan like that. I couldn't suppress my laugh and used both hands to cover my uncontrollable mouth. Still, it came out like a hiccup. We were just an hour into the journey, and it was definitely entertaining for all of us. The kids kept pestering the vampire prince, and he tried almost every method to avoid them. He even pretended to sleep, but the little monsters were adamant. Ryan unbuckled his seat belt and stood up, his eyes covered with sunglasses so that no one would see the blazing red orbs. From nowhere, an air hostess came rushing to the front row.

"Sir, may I help you?"

The uniformed girl asked, smiling, trying to grasp the situation.

"Yes. Can you please call these demons' mother?"

Shouted the real demon, pointing at two vulnerable human children. Ah, the irony. Helena also got the humor, as she snickered at me.

"Sorry Sir. But I can't."

The air hostess held both her hands politely and squeezed them alternately, looking perplexed.

"And why is that? Don't they have a mother?"

Ryan asked, getting agitated. And I am enjoying his discomfort way too much. Poor kids, though; they looked smug.

"I fear they don't."

The woman replied in a hushed voice and looked at the children sympathetically.

"What do you mean?"

I interfered in their conversation and got up from my seat.

"Their parents died in an accident yesterday, and these children are taking their bodies back to their homeland."

Her eyes became glassy as she said those words. I didn't move from my place, nor did Ryan. But the two kids still chattered like nothing happened. I bit my lips, afraid that a sob would escape my lips.

"You may leave. I will take care of them from now on."

I assured her, and she nodded at me gratefully before going back to their cabin. I asked Sid to adjust his seat with Helena, which both of them reluctantly approved, because of the situation.

...........................................................

"What is your name?"

After ten minutes of arrangement, Ryan and I ended up on either side of the four-seater, with both kids in the middle. Although he didn't apologize for being rude to the kids, he compensated by buying extra juice and snacks for them. What a softie! I wasn't speaking to Ryan properly as the words 'I love you' kept resonating in my ears, but I couldn't behave like this always, especially when we had to spend a lot of time together during this trip.

"I am Kyle, and he is Nyle."

The older looking one said it with a grin.

"Hmm, matching names."

I smiled at them genuinely. Poor kids. I know what it means to lose both parents together, and that, too, at a very young age.

"My mother always wanted matching names. That's why he is named Nyle. See Kyle, Nyle, only a letter difference."

He explained like a grownup, but his head jerked back as his brother hit him on the back.

"Hey, our mother. You are not her only son."

Nyle complained, moaning, and he somehow looked like a lost puppy to me. What a pity that, because of the carelessness of someone, they are now named parentless. I know how that is. Being left alone in the world with no one to call parents is... I don't know how to describe it; I just know that the feeling sucks.