Chapter One: Fists, mud, and beauty.

This is the last time.

A lie I've been telling myself every sun cycle since I was ten.

Girls gotta eat. I shrug it off as I rush through the busy market place, the smell of fish that's been out in the sun too long and the sting of the hot stones under my feet barely even garner my notice anymore.

"I wondered where you were, little fists." Mags laughs as I slide around the baker's rickety stand, tipping my chin to her on my way by and to the back of the small trader's building.

"Had a run in with the butcher." I wave over my shoulder to Mags.

She shakes her stringy grey hair and turns back to her next customer. "Luck be with yee."

Ha! Like I need it.

I skid to a stop as I round the corner, entering beneath the low hung banner that serves as our small bit of protection from any prying eyes, not that the Oh Great And Wonderful are that interested in what we do anyway. As long as we are out of their perfect hair and not breathing their perfect un-fishy air, what do they care?

Still, we try not to bring too much attention to what goes on back here. It's not totally illegal per say, but maybe it isn't exactly allowed either. A glance to the sundial tells me I've got less than half an hour to make my coins and git before the patrol will walk through, their noses held high.

Plenty of time for me.

"Malikah, cutting it close, aren't we?" The Fightmaster claps for me to follow him to the small ring. "That means you get to fight my friend here, he's new, but he looks up to the challenge."

I follow behind old Fighty, I don't know his real name, I'm not important enough. I'm so busy making fun of his funny wide gait walk that I don't even notice the boy he's lined me up with. The boy has noticed me though, looking me up and down quickly with his big brown eyes, hiding a smile behind his fist.

"You're joking." He doesn't speak to me, but to Fighty.

Fighty grins down at me, a hint of his golden front tooth gleaming. "Ask anyone from the Ring, I'm not much of a joker." He turns from us and to the small crowd gathered around the outer edge of the sand covered small fighting ring me and the new boy are in. "Place your bets."

The boy shakes his head. "I can't fight this girl." He sounds shocked, like he actually did think that the Fightmaster was just pulling his leg.

"I am not a little girl." I say coolly. "And you're welcome to forfeit right now if you want. I'm hungry, so I'd happily take my winnings and run by the slop shop before Fanny runs out of the not gray stuff." I shuffle my bare feet in the white sand. Pretty soon it'll have blood in it, but it won't be mine.

Almost like he heard my smug thoughts, new guy grins down at me from his freakishly tall height. "You're on."

"Great." I shuffle again, shaking out my arms as I bounce on the balls of my feet, loosening up my joints. "Food always tastes best when I know I've earned it."

I hear the crowd behind us whisper and Fighty holds up his hands as he backs away from the two of us. "Fighters ready?" He doesn't wait for our responses, but the new kid turns his eyes to him, giving me the in I need. "Go."

Quicker than quick, I dip low into a crouch and throw my full weight into the center mass of my opponent. Tall people lack balance. He sways, his feet coming off of the sand. With a quick spin, I kick out my left leg, locking it behind his knee and taking him down hard. He hits the sand with a gasp.