Chapter 9 | Victor

My birthday is passed so yay I can continue with my life and plan for my friends birthdays....  which are literally this week... o - o

Age

8

5

"The difference between all the jumps is fairly simple. There's the Salchow, Axel, Lutz, Loop, Flip, and the Toeloop." Mrs. Yuuko, my new coach, explained. "All of their rotation numbers, landing, and positioning are all the same. The difference being their take off." "Ok." I nodded. It was about half a month after Yuuris birthday, I don't know what happened to deter him but he hasn't skated since.  'I'm going to train hard and practice a lot!' 'I'm going to be the best skater out there.' Miss Yuuko had told me that I had the potential to be a great skater and I was going to prove her right. I would win the junior's world cup next year.

Miss. Yuuko had already told me all about competitions. I wasn't allowed to enter any till I was able to demonstrate the fundamentals and perform at least a double on each jump. 

"Today we'll go through the spread eagle ina bauer both inside and outside edge. I think since you've already... Learned. The other skills before that it should be fine." Miss. Yuuko announced as we began our practice session. "I want you to watch me then I'll come back and help you out with your foot positioning and anything else you need!" She said smiling. She was always so happy and carefree. Like Yuuri once was. Sometimes at night, I wake up to hear him calling out in his sleep. It hurts to hear him like that. I'll stay strong for him. I'll keep to my business, help him with whatever he needs, I'll support him, but I won't interfere. 

We continued our normal schedule. Wake up, breakfast, bus to school, complete our morning classes, eat lunch, afternoon classes, bus home, dinner, homework, story, then we went to bed. As the days passed he did seem to regain a bit of his personality but he still wasn't the same. However, sometimes Yuuri would stray from our daily schedule by skipping over our reading time and going to bed early. Those days I'd sit or lay on my bed by him and read by myself for a while before rolling over and falling asleep like we normally do. 

"Victor!" I heard a voice call. 'Huh?' I wasn't paying attention again... I have a bad tendency to drift off at odd times. Such as when I'm receiving instructions or doing menial tasks. "Ready?" Miss. Yuuko asked. Her face was twisted into a mildly annoyed but concerned look. "да, sorry for drifting off." I apologized. Shifting my weight to one side I watched as Miss. Yuuko skated off.  

I watched intently as she skated gracefully across the ice. When she reached about 5 meters from the wall she performed an inside edge spread eagle to turn towards me. She then performed an ina bauer and then an outside edge spread eagle before skating to a stop in front of me. 

"Your turn!" She said shifting her weight to the side. "You try it and then I'll help you from there on areas that you need to change, improve, or anything else." "Yes." I thought of everything I'd wanted in the past and I felt as if everything I'd done, good, bad, and the ugly had come back to aid me and haunt me. All of my regrets. Achievements. 

Everything.

As I skated across to the other side I watched as my vision slowly got more and more unfocused till it went black. It cleared within a few seconds but while my vision was gone I saw Yuuri sitting with his head on his knees shaking softly like he was sobbing. He looked up at me and I saw pain, fear, and sorrow in his eyes. I desperately wanted to run to him, but I couldn't move. I watched as some taller kids came and started beating on him. They kicked and punched him as he sat there staring at me. Then the other boys faded away and I saw an image of myself walk up to Yuuri and stand there looking down at him. Then the image of me walked off. 'Is this how Yuuri sees me? Everyone?' My vision started to clear and I suddenly felt my body lurch forward. Before I knew it I was on my hands and knees staring down at the ice. I couldn't feel anything but a weird aching in my chest. It slowly tightened it's hold on me till I couldn't breathe. I could only feel a slightly numb sensation in my hands where my palms touched the ice. 

I then passed out.

I saw Yuuri again in the darkness. He was wearing ice skates. But he was younger, happier, more carefree and was smiling widely. He was wearing a bright blue scarf and a red coat as he skated around. I watched as he skated effortlessly around, gliding, twirling, and spinning like it was walking. This seemed like it went on forever but then the perspective changed...

I saw everything in Yuuris eyes. His parents, sister. They were with him on the ice. They were joking, having fun, being a family. Then Yuuri fell. Everything went into slow motion as he fell backwards. Terror flooded my body as I felt Yuuri's terror. Suddenly his fall stopped. Spinning around I watched as Yuuri's father's head bounced off the ice a few times before stopping altogether. His breathing became ragged and blood started pooling on the ice. Time seemed to freeze as the first signs of blood started showing. "Mommy!" Yuuri screamed. Everything faded to black as Yuuris mom came skating over as fast as they could from where she had been sitting.

My vision went black again then the sound of ripping metal and screaming arose from around me. Yuuri's mom threw her body over me as a chunk of metal went flying towards us. My vision went black again just as the metal struck us.

I was now staring at the ground crying. I was wearing black pants and shoes. In my hands, I tightly clutched a bundle of white and pale blue flowers. I knew what had happened before I looked up. Yuuris eyes stared at the marble grey pattern of the tombstones engraved with the names 都市桂 and としお かつき. 'Hiroko and Toshio Katsuki.' I read. 'Yuuri's parents. They died in a car accident trying to get Toshio to the hospital.' I realized. 'Yuuri blames himself for their deaths.' A warm hand squeezed my shoulder. I looked up to see Mrs. Babicheva looking kindly at me. "I'll take care of you from now on." She said her voice fading. 

I woke up in my bed staring up at the ceiling. Yuuri was hovering a few inches off watching me. Wincing at the pounding headache I was experiencing I slowly sat up. "Come here," I grunted rubbing my head. I watched as Yuuri slowly inched towards me. Without warning, I lunged at him giving him a tight hug. "I'm so sorry," I whispered. 

'I swear. If I ever saw those kids they will pay for what they did to Yuuri.'

---+= Words 1210 =+---

==========

Skating Explained by a Non-Figure Skater

The inside and Outside edge - The inside edge is the side closest to your other skate while your outside edge is on the opposite side or the side closest to your arm.

Spread Eagle - Similar to the 2nd position in ballet your legs are apart at about shoulders distance but your toes are facing outwards

 Ina Bauer - looks like a lunge. I really don't know how to explain this...  

==========