Chapter 13

ALEXIS

"I didn't think I would get to see you," Monty grinned, his face lighting up like a Christmas tree.

Hudson let out a warning growl, which made me jump in surprise. I didn't even realize he was standing so close behind me until his chest vibrated against my back. 

"I was hoping I wouldn't have to," I muttered, crossing my arms.

After I had broken up with him, Monty seemed adamant to get us back together and tried every trick in the book to try to win me over. Of course, I had already decided that I was going to wait for my mate at the point, so he wasted a lot of time on me. It got to the point where my dad decided it was best to make him a tracker and send him off to travel the world so he could help our allies in need. He only returned a few times a year to see his family, and I made sure to stay out of his way so I wouldn't have to deal with his ass.

"Who's this?" Monty asked as he finally noticed Hudson standing behind me. I sensed a bit of anger and jealousy in his tone that made me want to roll my eyes. He stepped forward and put his hand out for Hudson to shake, "Montgomery, the ex-boyfriend."

Hudson stiffened some more if that was even possible and shook Monty's hand tightly. I saw Monty flinch from the tight grip Hudson had on his hand, making Hudson's lips twitch a little, "Alpha Hudson, the mate."

Now, I wanted to slap Hudson. Why was he claiming I was his mate now? It took him until my ex-boyfriend showed up to even say that. I decided to wait till Monty left to interrogate him about this. The last thing I needed was for Monty to try to use our tense relationship to his advantage.

Monty seemed surprised by this piece of information, "Mate, Alpha?"

"Yes, is there a problem?"

I elbowed Hudson discreetly, but he didn't even flinch. The two of them just stared at each other until Monty averted his gaze once he realized that he was practically challenging an Alpha. That was a smart move on his part, considering the fact that  I was pretty sure Hudson could make him into a nice purée if he felt like it.

"Not at all," he swallowed, "Congratulations."

"Thank you. We are very happy as well."

I stared at him in confusion and wondered if he had walked into a tree or something. 

"Right," Monty cleared his throat awkwardly, "Well, I'll see you two later."

He walked away as if his ass was on fire without even waiting for a reply.

"Nice wolf," Hudson remarked sarcastically. I turned to glare at him, "What was that?"

"What was what?" He asked nonchalantly.

"Alpha Hudson, the mate," I mimicked with the deep voice and all. 

"Oh, that." 

"Yes, that."

"I never said you weren't my mate before. I just haven't formally claimed you." 

"Then what do you call that? You just admitted to a pack member that I was your mate. No one knows your my mate here except for my family and Boston and Matthew." 

"Look, my wolf was frantic."

"You can't blame your wolf for everything, Hudson! I'm pretty sure he doesn't control your every move"

"He's worried you'll make him live with the chipmunks!"

The glare on my face disappeared momentarily, "Chipmunks?"