Part III

Five minutes later I was still gaping at this Devil with my mouth determined in becoming acquainted with the cement floor. 

Canceled? Well, no, he said called off. But that still means the Holy Grail I crashed into was going to be trashed anyway... I couldn't understand.

Luck doesn't side with me that easily. Sure I still have a brand spanking new 15 thousand dollar debt to my name but I could live with that if I didn't have to face the Senator. Or worse, Carissa. That woman was a sociopath of a different variety. Her manipulative tendencies were almost as bad as the Red-Haired Harlot.

I've been fortunate enough to only have to listen to the insanity that came out of her mouth from a distance. I should probably mention that I'm not allowed near high profile clients. Or any clients really. Pretty much for the same reasons that I'm not allowed in the staging area at crunch time.

If you must know there may have been a mini pie incident of June. Don't judge me! I was very forthcoming in admitting I was unlucky!

I was still musing this turn of events when Sebastian moved around the desk to stand in front of me, his left hand tucked into his pocket. With a single index finger under my chin, he closed my mouth. Ah, right, that was still open, wasn't it?

"As impressive as your dental work is, there's no need to look so shocked." I snorted at this. Oh if he only knew, I had no dental work, hadn't since probably ever. I took care of my teeth religiously because I only had one set and spoiler alert I'm flat broke. No one likes a sore mouth.

I live off of Ramen for chrissake so don't be so surprised that the six-month cleaning is a foreign practice to me. It was this amusement that made me miss the fact that he had actually teased me. And apparently admired my chompers. There's a funny thought; an odd one.

"I'm sorry, I don't understand." My words came out mumbled, I was distracted. One by my sudden luck and two by the proximity of my boss' chest to my nose. It was a really nice chest, so firm looking even if it was tucked away in his chef jacket. And it smelled like... what was that? Cinnamon and Vanilla? With a hint of his cologne?

My head was swimming in images of Christmas trees with baked goods in front of a crackling fire. That's what he smelled like; a damn holiday. I took another discreet sniff—I'm quite good at the secret sniff—and let that wash over me. With great difficulty, I managed to suppress my sigh.

When was the last time I had sex? Who knows but you can ask the bats that have taken up residence in my hoo-ha when you get the chance. You might even find Bruce Wayne in there planning his vigilante justice—he's been slacking on the Red-Haired front.

Get it together woman!

Sebastian stepped away and back to his desk. Looking through the stack of paperwork there, he found what he was looking for and made a note. I was curious as to what it was and as to why he was even here this late. His office is tucked into the corner which meant he was out of sight when you came in through the back.

By his disinterest in my presence, it was clear I was being dismissed. His wall was back up and I was standing here not sure if I should walk out or not. I didn't have to say anything right? He glanced back up at me, eyebrow raised.

"I believe there is a task in the kitchen with your name on it, Dalia." Ah, the stern a-hole was back.

"Right, I was just getting to that." I nodded quickly and turned to leave. I had one foot out the door when he called me back.

"Dalia?" It came out in a sigh. I turned back in, annoyed. Come on, buddy, which one is it? In or out? It's already late, my hip and back hurt, and I was just plain tired.