Chapter 26

The next days were chaotic. But war probably always brought chaos with it. It was Klaus and Grace against not-so-saint Stefan and his friends. A week of threats and acts of a massive pissing contest passed and Grace grew more and more estranged with her sister. Grace was now the enemy and now one was trusting her anymore. But the feeling was mutual. 

With every day, Grace grew colder and more reckless. She fed a lot, never having true control over herself. Thankfully she had a bunch of hybrids that covered up a mess. It was pretty helpful that Klaus told his minions to listen to Grace's orders. They left her alone when she grew sick of her bodyguards but also were really good at letting bodies disappear. 

Still, Grace continued to reside at her home. Elena and her didn't speak a word with each other. There was nothing to add to their fight. At some point, Grace stopped caring about it. The hateful and disappointed glances only amused her. 

Another night, Grace witnessed something interesting. After a long day of trying to make Stefan break, she came home to see Damon and Elena on the porch. Grace hid herself for a moment to listen in on their conversation, but it was just emotional bullshit. Seconds later, she heard kissing noises coming from the porch, which honestly surprised her. Everyone knew that Damon was into his brother's girl, but never would her sister have imagined that Elena would return those feelings. It was quite bitchy, even for Elena. 

For a second, the cold grasp of jealousy squeezed her heart. Why didn't she deserve to have a moment with her loved one? Elena was there, making out with Damon, while his brother sat god knows where, keeping Elijah captive. But to be honest, Elena didn't even know that her sister was involved with the man that betrayed them all. It better stayed like that for some time, but of course it resulted in the doppelgänger having no clue why Grace helped the enemy. 

She clenched her fists and put back on her cold, unemotional mask. When she went by the kissing couple she only chuckled amused, to which they both pulled apart immediately. They looked at her with confused and shocked glances.

"Oh, don't let me bother you. Please just don't be too loud if this gets more cozy, I honestly need to sleep." 

Their mouths hung wide open and they panted, not knowing what to reply. It looked rather silly.

"...And Damon, tell your brother to return the coffins...again." 

She flashed Damon a sweet smile, before she tapped him on his shoulder and disappeared inside. 

...

"You know that this is sick, don't you?" 

Grace said as she entered Klaus' new home. He was standing next to Rebekah's coffin and she felt anger rose inside her. Why didn't he just undagger her? She could help them in this situation. 

"Don't pout, love. I'll reunite them soon." 

Shaking her head, Grace walked closer to the coffin and stroked its lid.

"You know, she's also my friend. And I honestly would love to have all my friends together, awake and at peace. The sooner you do that, the easier it'll be." 

"So you finally admit that we're friends?"

Klaus said with a sly smile on his face. He laughed when she nudged him. Grace grinned over his childishness, but simply rolled her eyes. She should stop denying to herself that she was actually getting along quite well with him. 

Sighing, she leaned against the coffin and looked around the construction site. From the outside, the mansion looked like a damn castle. Klaus had a good taste, properly formed throughout the centuries. She couldn't wait to help him choosing expensive decorative piece, which would give the house some character and would make it a true home.