Chapter 11 - Insults

After mine and Dean's very...sudden...kiss, I found myself very confused. I had, of course, frozen during a moment that was supposed to be very special to me. My first kiss with my mate. At first, I had attempted to kiss him back, and although Dean still seemed very into it, I panicked and pulled away.

Dean let out a heavy sigh, but didn't comment on my actions.

"Just remember the importance of all of this," he reminded me before returning to the chair he had placed behind his desk.

I nodded and stood from my chair, walking across his office to the door. Part of me felt guilty. Why must I always mess things up? This could have been a really great moment between Dean and I, but I'd gone and made it all awkward. Typical.

At this point, I had no idea what to do with the rest of my day. Dean hadn't given any further instructions, and there was nothing on my mind that seemed desirable. Honestly, I wouldn't mind spending a whole day with my mate, and attempting to get to know him, but he was far too busy for that. He was an Alpha, what else could I expect?

"Audrey, what do you plan to do with the rest of your day?" Dean asked, just as I was about to leave the room.

I paused before turning my head to face him again, "I don't really know."

My answer was truthful. I had no clue what to do with my day. In all honesty, my only plan so far was to return to our quarters and work on my drawing, but I knew that would grow boring after a couple of hours. I felt rather useless, being the pack's Luna but being unable to carry out any of my responsibilities.

"Perhaps you should go mingle with the pack in the dining hall and other common areas, since the meet and greet didn't go as planned last night," Dean suggested.

I smiled at Dean's suggestion and nodded, although the idea twisted at my stomach, making me feel nervous. As one might expect, I was no good at socializing.

As I finally stepped out of the office and shut the door behind me, I felt even more lost about what to do. Who should I mingle with? What should I say? Where should I go? Maybe I should just go back to our quarters, would Dean even find out?

Despite my anxiety, I knew disobeying Dean was not the best way to go.

Taking a deep breath, I took a step forward and made my way downstairs to where all of the pack house common areas were. The first floor was the center of all social life for the pack. There was a theater, multiple meeting rooms, the dining hall and kitchen, a library, and a number of other places for pack members to relax and enjoy hobbies or company.

Once I reached the main level, I decided that the dining hall would be a good place to start. By now, it was early afternoon. There wouldn't be a large crowd of people, but those who enjoyed an early lunch may be around.

As I entered the large room full of long, dark oak tables, I was taken back to not all that long ago when I first met Dean as his server at the ball. I smiled to myself at the thought. It all seemed so crazy now. How did a girl like me go from an abusive father and working with Omegas, to being mated to her pack's Alpha?

I stared at the few groups of people who remained in the dining hall, and worked up the confidence to go introduce myself to each group.

The first group I approached was a group of elderly ladies who appeared to only be having a cup of tea and biscuits. They seemed friendly, and I figured friendly was the best way to start.

"Hello ladies," I said, forcing my voice to be bold as I approached the small group. They turned their attention to me and stared, obviously not immediately recognizing me from last night's ceremony.