Ariel - The Drunk Mermaid

William' POV

I ease myself to the couch in my father's study not finding the needed comfort while my share of the famed wine from the orchards of Dionysus was left untouched on the table before me.

The past events kept replaying and I massage my temples in uneasiness, unable to tune out her heart wrenching sobs.

So everyone knew, she had asked as her calm crumbes to pieces in a voice cracked with raw emotions and all I could do was helplessly watch her disappear with the Lady of love.

I would have rather see her hurl statues  at everyone in anger than see her cry is sadness.

The god of death hadn't stayed a second longer in the silent hall and quietly left with an expression so dark that even Zeus didn't dare provoke the lonely god.

"Stop sulking you guys, its turning my wine bitter." Zeus whines tracing the rims of the wine glass already broken and reassembled five time over in the last one minute.

I do not humour him with a response and let him bask in the heat of guilt and turns my attention to the notifications and mails.

Each of the same content of unrest and disorder in the kingdom of the Underworld, in tremors of its Ruler' mood who outwardly stood beside the windowsill, face stoic and unconcerned, the same impenetrable  composture.

I sigh, knowing there was something going on between Elie and Lord Hades since none of the two mentioned uttered a word addressing the other and thinking back to the time I arrived to pick her up, face flushed and uncharacteristically gloomy, it clearly was bad but judging by their attitudes neither one was ready to be the first one to yield nor would they allow an outsider to interfere and so it was best for me to keep my silence and pretend to be unware of short fleeting glances each stole.

And Elie' mood from then on has only seemed to worsen and I can't help but perceive the pangs of regret wondering if it would have been any less hard on her if I had made an effort to explain or even hint the truth considering how I knew of the fragile relation between her and Thanatos before she came tumbling down to the Underworld.

The wine glass soundlessly broke for the tenth time and was left in glistening shards as Zeus stans up. "I am going to take a stroll outside."

I merely nod but the as he takes the first step the doors is pushed wide open without a knock tricking me into hoping for a grinning face to peek in.

But it was disappointingly only the captain of the west wing, a son of Ares stepping in. "My lord, Lord Hades, Sir William pardon me for my intrusion."

"Why do you look so flustered Captain Valid?" Zeus takes his seat with a new wine glass in hand, being maybe the only one to call Captain Vald, Valid.

"It's Lady Elizabeth."

Zeus' playful gaze grows keen and under the sudden scrutinizing gaze of three sets of eyes, the Captain seems to contemplate his next words.

And despite the fidgety in his actions  I begin to imagine her reaction to 'Lady Elizabeth', laughter surely the first to ensue followed by a threat of murder if he ever calls her the same again and maybe after even invite him for a nice cup of tea.

"She's drunk."

Caught off guard I stumble for words and so was Zeus who swiftly moves his drink away before he chokes.

"What did you just say?" A blood thirsty aura explodes from the god of the Underworld as he takes a threatening  step forward forcing the Captain to inch back.

"She consumed nectar, my lord." Vald replies trying to keep his cool and I almost fall back to the couch as I stand.

Nectar was the drink of gods and immortals and could be consumed by demigods but it was lethal to other mortals.