5 ¦ Secrets and Theories

Disoriented from anti-pain tonics, only one thought crossed my addled mind.

Please stop talking.

"Miss Alta, can you wake up, please?" the man repeated, insistent as he shook my shoulder the next morning.

My eyes fluttered open, and a blurred image stubbornly refused to focus. With a squint, I saw Peter looking down at me with a handful of Defenders.

"You're doing better, I see," Peter said with a sigh of relief.

"Go away," I muttered, half-asleep.

The Defenders crowded closer to my bed. "Could you answer a few questions, please, Miss Alta? We're investigating the terror attack."

I groaned in reply. Pain ripped through my lungs.

"Did you see your attacker?" a uniformed woman asked, dressed in pure black with blonde hair tied back in a severe twist.

"No," I breathed.

"Have you received any threatening messages or letters recently?"

"No."

"Does your family have any ties to political or extremist organizations?"

I paused. "Father," I said with a grimace as searing pain raced through my chest. "Father died. Gatál terrorists ... killed him and ... my mother."

"And you, Miss Alta? Are you a member of any political organizations?"

"No, I can't stand politics."

"Do you support any--"

A Dwarfish nurse with long, bushy black hair shuffled towards us, built like an ox with a temper to match. "Go on, git!" she insisted, shooing them away. "Miss Alta needs her rest."

Only a Dwarf would have the pluck to call a Defender git.

"Master Nurse, we need ..."

"You can get what you want after she's recovered," she huffed. "Come back in three days. And I'm a woman, not a man, you fool. The name's Kaylar."

The severe Defender snapped her notebook shut and muttered a half-hearted apology. The others nodded at Peter and left, but the stubborn goat wouldn't leave my side.

"You too, dumb-ass!" Kaylar growled at Peter, nodding towards the door.

"I'm a friend of Liselle's."

Kaylar gave me a pointed look, and I nodded weakly. I needed answers, and the annoying Defender seemed to like me. Who knew when we'd cross paths again? He was my best shot at figuring out what happened.

"Fine, five minutes Mister Sardon," the Nurse replied. "Then I drag you out."

"Thank you, Nurse."

She huffed and turned on her heel.

Peter took a seat next to me. Leaning on the guard rails, he gave me an intense stare.

"I'm sorry I couldn't protect you from this," he said in a deep, melodic voice. "Our clairvoyants said the attackers would use blades, not arrows."

That's why he stood nearby.

"Clairvoyants aren't always precise," he continued. "I shielded you from the dozen other arrows, but ..."

"It's not your fault," I croaked, my voice hoarse and raspy. "How did you enter my vision and save me?"

"Shh, all in good time. Just rest."